Skip to main content

list manipulation - Select rows from table by keys


I am looking for a way to iteratively select all sublists with the same ID (my 1st column, residual columns are AbsoluteTime entries). First, I obtained the list of unique IDs with Union. Then I want to use this list for the selection task. I assume that it must work with Sequence and ReplaceAll, but could not make it work. Here's what I have so far:


ticketList = Union[dataList[[1 ;;, 1]]];
tempList = Select[dataList, #1[[1]] == x &] /. x -> Sequence[ticketList];

My ultimate goal is to build up a TemporalData array with all items which each belong to the same ID.


My data is has dimensions n x m. The ticket list has dimension t. The resulting table should have dimensions t x i x m, where i is the cardinality of items with the same ID, and the i's sum to n. I assumed, that I can then map TemporalData on every t-th item in order to build the temporal list.



I searched the site but didn't find a previous question that seem to address my problem. Maybe I misunderstood the use cases of similiar questions.



Answer



Here's an attempt to address your question based on the sort of data I imagine you have in mind. First, some data. Note: the integers are understood to be ID's.


times = RandomReal[{0, 100}, {20, 5}];
ids = RandomInteger[4, 20];
data = Transpose[Prepend[Transpose[times], ids]]


{{1, 95.2049, 98.1609, 35.1946, 32.636, 81.2383}, {3, 92.8072, 36.0249, 68.3793, 54.1311, 95.1051}, {3, 4.26078, 47.9919, 31.627, 53.0064, 96.8995}, {4, 18.2792, 94.4752, 5.66575, 5.62435, 35.8945}, {4, 67.4149, 68.1577, 25.281, 17.8322, 15.3123}, {2, 77.6343, 35.3486, 81.3541, 73.6091, 51.4884}, {0, 28.5346, 29.2705, 78.9446, 32.2112, 7.05296}, {4, 91.9405, 79.4176, 75.6947, 72.1069, 5.94247}, {2, 11.0662, 24.4381, 79.5328, 20.2195, 79.4703}, {0, 61.6779, 73.8532, 61.5861, 7.79641, 38.3836}, {4, 52.3064, 95.9954, 62.3701, 34.7654, 99.8931}, {2, 92.6636, 57.8744, 23.4167, 76.3724, 44.8631}, {2, 73.7149, 84.6716, 36.1234, 89.5432, 39.8183}, {3, 50.4444, 7.98911, 69.4092, 96.3191, 79.6566}, {3, 41.2261, 58.5009, 57.7989, 58.9187, 8.87187}, {4, 53.5552, 11.3278, 8.24034, 67.3065, 19.4648}, {2, 19.9501, 30.5649, 73.9395, 13.3722, 36.5546}, {3, 96.5631, 19.1948, 23.226, 92.8776, 64.4002}, {0, 65.9084, 10.2902, 8.83754, 93.0831, 36.464}, {1, 18.2795, 12.4673, 42.0253, 39.8816, 50.8252}}




Now to gather the records that have the same id:


GatherBy[data, First]//TableForm

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...