Skip to main content

gathering - binning list of lists in unequal bin lengths


I'm lookin for binning of


list1={{"1A",1},{"2A",2},{"170A",170},{"3A",3},{"90A",90},{"80A",80},{"2A",2},{"110A",110},{"222A",222},{"200A",200},{"215A",215},{"30A",30}}


into


bins={{0,20,100,∞}}

according to 2nd element in sublists as bin criterion?



Answer



I think this should work for you:


binBy1[dat_, bins_, fn_] :=
With[{intv = Interval /@ Partition[bins, 2, 1]},
dat //

GroupBy[IntervalMemberQ[intv, fn@#] &] //
KeyMap[Pick[intv, #][[1, 1]] & ] //
KeySort
]

Use:


binBy1[list1, {0, 20, 100, ∞}, Last]


<|{0, 20} -> {{"1A", 1}, {"2A", 2}, {"3A", 3}, {"2A", 2}},

{20, 100} -> {{"90A", 90}, {"80A", 80}, {"30A", 30}},
{100, ∞} -> {{"170A", 170}, {"110A", 110}, {"222A", 222},
{"200A", 200}, {"215A", 215}}|>

If you just want the values:


binBy2[dat_, bins_, fn_] :=
With[{intv = Interval /@ Partition[bins, 2, 1]},
dat //
GroupBy[IntervalMemberQ[intv, fn@#] &] //
KeyMap[Pick[intv, #][[1]] & ] //

Lookup[#, intv, {}] &
]

binBy2[{ {"90A", 90}, {"3A", 3}}, {-50, 0, 20, 100, ∞}, Last]


{{}, {{"3A", 3}}, {{"90A", 90}}, {}}



Performance



This ends up less clean than the code above, which you already feel is complicated, but for performance Interpolation can be far superior to IntervalMemberQ as I used it above.


binsToIFn[bins_List] :=
Interpolation[{Join[{$MinMachineNumber}, bins, {$MaxMachineNumber}],
Range[0, Length@bins + 1]}\[Transpose], InterpolationOrder -> 0]

binBy3[dat_, bins_, fn_] :=
With[{IFn = binsToIFn @ bins},
dat //
GroupBy[IFn @* fn] //
KeyMap[Round] //

Lookup[#, Range[Length@bins + 1], {}] &
]

Note that with this function $MinMachineNumber and $MaxMachineNumber are automatically used as the bounding intervals so they may be omitted from the list.


Timings compared to my first two functions on a large problem:


bins = Union @ RandomInteger[999, 300];
bins = Join[{-10}, bins, {1200}];

big = RandomReal[999, {50000, 2}];


binBy1[big, bins, Last] // Length // Timing
binBy2[big, bins, Last] // Length // Timing
binBy3[big, bins, Last] // Length // Timing


{5.63164, 269}

{5.60044, 269}

{0.109201, 271}


Coolwater's function on my machine:


binBy[big, {bins}] // Length // Timing


{9.36006, 269}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...