Skip to main content

differential equations - Use NDSolve to solve a PDE


I have the following PDE (a master equation, and $P$ is probability density, $0\le x\le1$ and $0\le y\le1$):


$$ \partial_t P(x,y,t)=x\partial_xP(x,y,t)+(1-y)\partial_yP(x,y,t)+2P(x,y,t) $$


The initial conditions are $P(x,y,t=0)=\delta(x-0.05,y-0.85)$. For the boundary conditions, if the probability density is going to flow through the boundary, I won't do anything to stop it. (How to express the BC in Mathematica?)


I used the following command:


NDSolve[{D[P[x, y, t], t] == 
x D[P[x, y, t], x] + (1 - y) D[P[x, y, t], y] + 2 P[x, y, t],
P[x, y, 0] == DiracDelta[x - 0.05, y - 0.85]}, P,
{t, 0, 2}, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]


First, Mathematica gave the following warning:


Warning: an insufficient number of boundary conditions have been specified for the direction of 
independent variable y. Artificial boundary effects may be present in the solution. >>

Moreover, the result it gave obviously is wrong:


Plot3D[Evaluate[(P[x, y, t] /. %) /. {t -> 0}], {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]

enter image description here


My question is: 1) How can I express the boundary conditions I mentioned 2) How can I make the NDSolve work?




Answer



Your specific example can be solved by DSolve. First let's get the general solution of the PDE:


gsol = DSolve[{D[p[x, y, t], t] == 
x D[p[x, y, t], x] + (1 - y) D[p[x, y, t], y] + 2 p[x, y, t]}, p, {x, y, t}]


{{p -> Function[{x, y, t}, C[1][x (-1 + y), t + Log[x]]/x^2]}}

Then substitute it into the boundary condition:


eqn = p[x, y, 0] == DiracDelta[x - 0.05, y - 0.85] /. gsol[[1]]



C[1][x (-1 + y), Log[x]]/x^2 == DiracDelta[-0.05 + x, -0.85 + y]

Solve for C[1][_, _]:


Solve[Cases[eqn, C[1][a__] -> a, Infinity] == {p1, p2}, {x, y}]
Solve[Simplify[eqn /. %, {p1, p2} ∈ Reals][[1]], C[1][p1, p2]]
bc = % /. (a_[b__] -> c_) -> (a -> ({b} \[Function] c))



{{x -> E^p2, y -> E^-p2 (E^p2 + p1)}}
{{C[1][p1, p2] -> E^(2 p2) DiracDelta[-0.05 + E^p2, 0.15 + E^-p2 p1]}}
{{C[1] -> Function[{p1, p2}, E^(2 p2) DiracDelta[-0.05 + E^p2, 0.15 + E^-p2 p1]]}}

Substitute it back to the general solution:


 sol[x_, y_, t_] = (p[x, y, t] /. gsol /. bc)[[1, 1]]


(E^(2 (t + Log[x])) DiracDelta[-0.05 + E^t x, 0.15 + E^-t (-1 + y)])/x^2


BTW, when exploring this I encountered another problem, see here for details.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...