Skip to main content

probability or statistics - TransformedDistribution with Conditioned



Is the following attempt beyond Mathematica 11?


Z = TransformedDistribution[ (A + B)/2 \[Conditioned] A < B, {A \[Distributed] NormalDistribution[mA , sA], B \[Distributed] NormalDistribution[mB , sB]}]

When I try to get Mathematica to show me the PDF of Z, it doesn't work. I tried:


 PDF[Z, y]

Answer



It is possible to derive an exact solution to this problem.


Given: $X$ and $Y$ are independent random variables where $X \sim N(\mu_1, \sigma_1^2)$ and $Y \sim N(\mu_2, \sigma_2^2)$, with parameter conditions:


enter image description here


Problem: Find the pdf of $\frac{X+Y}{2} \; \big| \; X < Y$




  1. Joint pdf of $(X,Y)$:


By independence, the joint pdf of $(X,Y)$, say $f(x,y)$ is simply the product of the individual pdf's:


enter image description here



  1. Let $V = X - Y$. Then $V \sim N(\mu_1 - \mu_2, \sigma_1^2 + \sigma_2^2)$ with cdf $\Phi(v)$.


Let constant $c = P(X which is: (take care here with non-standard Mma notation)


enter image description here




  1. Conditional joint pdf:


The conditional pdf $f\big((x,y) \; \big| \; X is then fcon:


enter image description here


where all the dependence is captured within the fcon statement using the Boole statement, and we can enter the 'domain' as a rectangular structure on the real line, i.e.


domain[fcon] = domain[f]


  1. Transformation $Z = \frac{X+Y}{2}$



Given the conditional joint pdf $f\big((x,y) \; \big| \; X ... let $Z = \frac{X+Y}{2}$ and $W = X$. Then the joint conditional pdf of $(Z,W)$, say $g(z,w)$, is obtained with:


enter image description here


where I am using the Transform function from the mathStatica package for Mathematica, and the domain can again be entered as a rectangular set as:


enter image description here


Then, the marginal pdf of $Z = \frac{X+Y}{2}$ is:


enter image description here


... which is the exact solution. All done.



The following plot compares:





  • the exact symbolic pdf derived above (red dashed curve)




  • ... to the Monte Carlo simulated pdf (squiggly blue curve)




... here when: $\mu_1 = -1, \mu_2 = 4, \sigma_1 = 1, \sigma_2 = 12$


Looks fine.



enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?