Skip to main content

How I can define a discrete probability distribution with parameters?


I have this function that works similar to a probability generating function


$$g(x):=\left(\frac{c}{D} x^{-1}+\frac{D-t-c}D+\frac{t-d}{D} x+\frac{d}D x^2\right)^M$$


with $g(1)=1$. This is not a generating function in the common sense but from $g$ we can define the following PMF


$$f(k):=\begin{cases}[x^k]g(x),& k>0\\\sum_{k=-M}^0 [x^k]g(x),& k=0\end{cases}$$



and it CDF in a similar manner. I want to use the built-in function ProbabilityDistribution (if this is possible) to define $f$ as a PDF for the discrete random variable $K$ that take values in $\{0,\ldots,2M\}$ and depend on parameters $D,t,c,d$ and $M$ where


$$D,M\in\Bbb N_{>0},\quad 0\le d,c

But in the Wolfram language documentation center there is no information about if ProbabilityDistribution can be used to define distributions that depends on parameters or how to do it.


Some help will be appreciated, thank you.


P.S.: the notation $[x^k]p$ means "the $k$-th coefficient of the series $p$".



Answer



I think getting a symbolic result for general m will take a lot more work. But if a symbolic result for each value of m is satisfactory, here's one way to do it:


(* Set m *)
m = 3;


(* Generating function *)
g[x_] := ((c/bigD)/x + (bigD - t - c)/bigD + (t - d) x/bigD + (d/bigD) x^2)^m

(* pdf of k *)
f[k_] := If[k == 0, Sum[Coefficient[g[x], x, i], {i, -m, 0}], Coefficient[g[x], x, k]]

(* Make a probability distribution *)
distribution = ProbabilityDistribution[f[k], {k, 0, 2 m, 1},
Assumptions -> {bigD ∈ Integers, 0 <= d < bigD, 0 <= c < bigD, 1 <= t < bigD}];


(* Check out Mean, Variance, and Expectation functions *)
meank = Simplify[Mean[distribution]]
(* (3 ((bigD-c) (bigD+c) d+(bigD-c)^2 t+c t^2))/bigD^3 *)
vark = Simplify[Variance[distribution]]
meank = Simplify[Expectation[k, k \[Distributed] distribution]]
vark = Simplify[Expectation[(k - meank)^2, k \[Distributed] distribution]]

(* Brute force *)
sumToOne = Simplify[Sum[f[k], {k, 0, 2 m}]]
meank = Simplify[Sum[k f[k], {k, 0, 2 m}]]

vark = Simplify[Sum[(k - meank)^2 f[k], {k, 0, 2 m}]]

Update


From a comment by the OP there seems to be a difference of opinion as to whether $K$ goes from 0 to $M$ or from 0 to $2M$. I still argue that $K$ ranges from 0 to $2M$:


m = 3;
g[x_] := ((c/bigD)/x + (bigD - t - c)/bigD + (t - d) x/bigD + (d/bigD) x^2)^m
f[k_] := If[k == 0, Sum[Coefficient[g[x], x, i], {i, -m, 0}], Coefficient[g[x], x, k]]

Total[Table[f[k], {k, 0, m}]]
(* 1-(3 d^2)/bigD^2+(3 c d^2)/bigD^3-d^3/bigD^3+(6 d^2 t)/bigD^3-(3 d t^2)/bigD^3 *)


Total[Table[f[k], {k, 0, 2 m}]]
(* 1 *)

However, if 0 to $M$ is desired, then some additional scaling needs to be included to get the probabilities to sum to 1.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...