Skip to main content

dynamic - Dynamically updating linked Manipulate variables


I am trying to write a simple cylindrical tank design notebook. Once the user inputs the desired capacity in gallons, it will compute the required volume (in cubic feet) and then offer sliders for height and diameter. However, since the volume (and capacity) must stay constant, if the user changes the height, the diameter will have to change accordingly, and vice versa.


Here is an image of what I'm trying to go for. The little thing on the right is an approximately six foot person for scaling purposes:


example


My issue is getting the sliders to change dynamically as the user changes the other variable. How can I write a relation to make sure that the calculated volume of the cylinder using height and diameter ALWAYS equals the user-defined volume?


I've looked into a couple similar solutions with dynamic updating of variables, but I was still confused and I wasn't sure if it applied in this case. These are a couple of the ones I tried to use: Alternative updating of a dynamic expression How to anchor a Pane's scroll position to the bottom?


Code included below:


Manipulate[
Graphics3D[{

Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, h}}, d/2],
Cuboid[{15.25, 0.75, 0}, {16.75, -0.75, 4.5}],
Sphere[{16, 0, 5}, 1.5]
},
ImageSize -> 500,
PlotRange -> {{-15, 25}, {-15, 15}, {0, 30}}],

{{cap, 8000, "gallons:"}, ImageSize -> Tiny},
Spacer[10],
Dynamic@Row[{Style[" volume: ", 12],

NumberForm[cap/7.4813, 4],
Style[" \!\(\*SuperscriptBox[\(ft\), \(3\)]\)", 12]}],
Spacer[10],
{{h, 5, "height (ft):"}, 5, 25, Appearance -> "Labeled"},
{{d, 5, "diameter (ft):"}, 2, 20, Appearance -> "Labeled"},
Spacer[10]

]

Thank you very much!!




Answer



This solution is valid only after the user enters a new volume, and touches a slider for d or h to adjust them. i.e. once a new volume is entered, the h and the d are no longer valid, until a user changes one of them, so they can sync with the new volume. You might want to adjust the range of sliders as needed. The idea is to use the second argument of Dynamic and update the other slider at that moment. This is the simplest way to do these things.


enter image description here


Manipulate[
Module[{},
Graphics3D[{
Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, h}}, d/2],
Cuboid[{15.25, 0.75, 0}, {16.75, -0.75, 4.5}],
Sphere[{16, 0, 5}, 1.5]
}, ImageSize -> 500, PlotRange -> {{-15, 25}, {-15, 15}, {0, 30}}]

],
Grid[{
{"Gallons",
Manipulator[Dynamic[cap, {cap = #} &], {100, 100000, 100}, ImageSize -> Tiny],
Row[{Style[" volume: ", 12], Dynamic@NumberForm[cap/7.4813, 4],
Style["ft^3", 12]}]
},
{"height",
Manipulator[Dynamic[h, {h = #; d = 2 Sqrt[(cap/7.4813)/(Pi h)]} &],
{5, 20, 1}, ImageSize -> Tiny], Row[{Dynamic@NumberForm[h, 4], "ft"}]

},
{"d",
Manipulator[Dynamic[d, {d = #; h = (cap/7.4813)/(Pi (d/2)^2)} &], {2, 30, 1},
ImageSize -> Tiny], Row[{Dynamic@NumberForm[d, 4], "ft"}]
}}],
{{cap, 8000}, None},
{{h, 13.615}, None},
{{d, 10}, None}
]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...