Skip to main content

plotting - LogPlot axes labels destroyed when working in high precision


Bug introduced in 7.0 or earlier and fixed in 11.0.0




(I'm using Mathematica 8.)



I have a Taylor series:


poly = Normal[Series[E^x, {x, 0, 10}]]

I want to produce a log-linear plot of the error. This is easy enough with the following code:


LogPlot[Abs[E^x - poly], {x, -1, 1}]

This produces


a log-linear plot


Now, I want to plot even smaller values of the error (in particular I want the plot to be sensible near zero), so I tell LogPlot to use high precision as follows:


LogPlot[Abs[E^x - poly], {x, -1, 1}, WorkingPrecision -> 30]


However this destroys the labeling on the y-axis:


bad behavior of LogPlot[]


Does anyone know what has gone wrong here? How do I fix it?



Answer



This is not simply a mislabeling of the axes. More than that is going on: the plot produced is not even logarithmic. Let's try to use the default (non-log-transformed tick marks):


First, with MachinePrecision (correct result):


Show[
LogPlot[Abs[E^x - poly], {x, -1, 1}, WorkingPrecision -> MachinePrecision],
Ticks -> Automatic

]

Mathematica graphics


Then with higher precision (incorrect result):


Show[
LogPlot[Abs[E^x - poly], {x, -1, 1}, WorkingPrecision -> 30],
Ticks -> Automatic
]

Mathematica graphics



I don't think it's worth digging into how LogPlot works, as at this point this clearly seems to be a bug.




You can work around it by using Plot instead of LogPlot:


Plot[Log@Abs[E^x - poly], {x, -1, 1}, WorkingPrecision -> 30]

Mathematica graphics


But then you have to do re-label the axes yourself (CustomTicks / LevelScheme are helpful packages). If you don't mind losing adaptive plotting, you can generate the points to be shown yourself and us ListLogPlot:


ListLogPlot[Table[Evaluate@Abs[E^x - poly], {x, -1, 1, 0.01`30}]]

Mathematica graphics



(You'd probably want Joined -> True here, but seeing where the points are helps you tune the plot, so I didn't include it now.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...