Skip to main content

output formatting - How to make TeXForm use TemplateBox to generate code?


If I define the TraditionalForm formatting of myFunction without TemplateBox, then TeXForm works properly:


ClearAll[myFunction]
myFunction /: HoldPattern[MakeBoxes[myFunction[a_, b_, c_], TraditionalForm]] :=
SubsuperscriptBox[ToBoxes[a], ToBoxes[b], ToBoxes[c]]



myFunction[h, 1, 2] // TeXForm
(* h_1^2 *)

But if I try to define it using TemplateBox,


ClearAll[myFunction]
myFunction /: HoldPattern[MakeBoxes[myFunction[a_, b_, c_], TraditionalForm]] :=
TemplateBox[
{ToBoxes[a], ToBoxes[b], ToBoxes[c]}, "myFunctionTag",

DisplayFunction :> (SubsuperscriptBox[#1, #2, #3] &)
];

TraditionalForm works correctly,


myFunction[h, 1, 2] // TraditionalForm

(* $h_1^2$ *)


but TeXForm does not return code to format the expression as in TraditionalForm:


myFunction[h, 1, 2] // TeXForm
(* \text{myFunctionTag}[h,1,2] *)


Instead, it is just replacing the head of the function with the tag of TemplateBox. What is the correct way to make TeXForm generate code out of a TemplateBox? I'm looking for a solution that can be programmed into a package.



Answer



The internal function used by TeXForm to process boxes is System`Convert`CommonDump`ExpandTemplateBoxes. This function is expecting the DisplayFunction option of a TemplateBox to use Rule, not RuleDelayed. Compare:


System`Convert`CommonDump`ExpandTemplateBoxes @ TemplateBox[
{"a"},
"FOO",
DisplayFunction :> (#&)
]


System`Convert`CommonDump`ExpandTemplateBoxes @ TemplateBox[
{"a"},
"FOO",
DisplayFunction -> (#&)
]


RowBox[{"FOO", "[", RowBox[{"a"}], "]"}]


"a"




When RuleDelayed is used, the box structure generated by the DisplayFunction is ignored. So, modify your TemplateBox format to use Rule:


ClearAll[myFunction]
myFunction /: MakeBoxes[myFunction[a_, b_, c_], TraditionalForm] :=
TemplateBox[
{ToBoxes[a], ToBoxes[b], ToBoxes[c]}, "myFunctionTag",
DisplayFunction -> (SubsuperscriptBox[#1, #2, #3] &)
]

myFunction[h, 1, 2] // TeXForm



h_1^2



Note that I removed a superfluous HoldPattern in your definition.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...