Skip to main content

version 9 - Solving differential equations with constraints


The problem is $$ x''(t)=F(t) - kx'(t) \\ x'(0)=x(0)=0$$ with the additional constraints $$ 0 < x(t) WhenEvent[...].


Example:


First@First@NDSolve[{
x''[t] == 10 Sin[0.1 t] - 0.1 x'[t], x[0] == 0,
x'[0] == 0, WhenEvent[x[t] > 400, x[t] -> 399],
WhenEvent[x'[t] > 40, x'[t] -> 39],
WhenEvent[x[t] < 0, x[t] -> 1],

WhenEvent[x'[t] < -40, x'[t] -> -39]},
x, {t, 0, 200},
MaxSteps -> 50000];
Plot[{x[t] /. %, 10 x'[t] /. %}, {t, 0, 200}, PlotRange -> All,
PlotLegends -> {"x[t]", "x'[t]"}, ImageSize -> 700]

Plot of x, x'


What is the proper way to solve this type of problem?



Answer



I guess that can be done. I don't know if you'll love this solution though.



{s, a} = NDSolveValue[{
x''[t] == alive[t] 10 Sin[0.1 t] - 0.1 x'[t],
x[0] == 0, x'[0] == 0,
alive[0] == 1,
speed[0] == 0,
WhenEvent[x[t] > 400, {
speed[t] -> x'[t], x'[t] -> 0, alive[t] -> 0}],
WhenEvent[Sin[.1 t] < 0, {
x'[t] -> -speed[t], alive[t] -> 1}],
WhenEvent[x[t] < 0, {

speed[t] -> x'[t], x'[t] -> 0, alive[t] -> 0}],
WhenEvent[Sin[.1 t] > 0, {
x'[t] -> -speed[t], alive[t] -> 1}]},
{x, alive},
{t, 0, 100},
DiscreteVariables -> {alive, speed}]

Roughly, I stored the first derivative and temporarily killed it together with force and then restored both at the appropriate moment.


Plot[{s[t], 300 a[t]},
{t, 0, 100},

PlotRange -> All,
PlotStyle -> Thick]

plot


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...