Skip to main content

Dataset and string conversion, using Internal`StringToDouble



i'm trying to get familiar with the new Dataset-stuff in Mathematica 10. As it will (hopefully) provide some benefit for me, I have started to convert my app to move from list and list of rules to Associations and Datasets.


Starting point for me is an XML object, which is converted to a Dataset now. I was hoping to reduce the programming code by e.g. applying functions to multiple columns at once.


This is an example Dataset:


testset = Dataset[{<|"Element" -> "A", "a" -> "529251", "b" -> "520358"|>, <|
"Element" -> "B", "a" -> "51"|>, <|"Element" -> "C",
"a" -> "177"|>, <|"Element" -> "L", "a" -> "125"|>, <|
"Element" -> "S", "a" -> "1343"|>}]

This gives:


dataset



As the XML sometimes contains integers and reals in scientific form, I'm using


Internal`StringToDouble

to convert the stuff:


fnStr2Real[x_,r_:0]:=If[Head[x]===Missing,r,Internal`StringToDouble[x]]
SetAttributes[fnStr2Real, {Listable}];
testset[fnStr2Real, {"a", "b"}]
(* Trace yields *)
(* Query[fnStr2Real, {"a", "b"}][testset] *)


The issue: there is some kind of rounding in the resulting recordset:


result


If I apply my function directly to my list or association, everything is fine:


Function[x, fnStr2Real[#[x] & /@ Normal[testset]]] /@ {"a", "b"}
(* {{529251., 51., 177., 125., 1343.}, {520358., 0, 0, 0, 0}} *)

I know that Internal`StringToDouble is an internal function, but I found several posts in this forum using it, and I really like it!


Is there an issue with M10, Dataset and Internal`StringToDouble?


Are there any other robust string coversion functions availabe which can handle integers, reals and reals in scientific form inside a dataset? Thanks!



Answer




I don't yet know where the rounding is coming from but it appears to be occurring during formatting.


Consider:


testset[fnStr2Real, {"a", "b"}] // Normal // Normal


{{"a" -> 529251., "b" -> 520358.}, {"a" -> 51., "b" -> 0},
{"a" -> 177., "b" -> 0}, {"a" -> 125., "b" -> 0}, {"a" -> 1343., "b" -> 0}}

Actually the rounding seems to be a standard part of the formatting of Dataset:


Dataset[<|a -> 123456.|>]


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...