Skip to main content

matrix - Problem with plotting eigenvalues


I want to plot the eigenvalues of a matrix which is dependant on a parameter (well, actually I want to plot a tight-binding electronic band structure). The dimension of the hamitonian matrix is greater than 5, so of course there is no analytical solution. But anyway, when I use Eigenvalues directly, Mathematica will give results containing Root. So I just use these Roots to plot. I thought that theoretically the plot will be fine. Because it is just a root searching process, so if Mathematica searches the roots little by little the eigenvalue curve will be fine. But it turns out that things are not that simple. I give all the code that I have written as follows:



n = 5;
h = Table[0, {i, 1, 2 n}, {j, 1, 2 n}];
a[m_] := 2 m - 1
b[m_] := 2 m
Do[
h[[b[i], a[i]]] = E^((I k)/2) + E^((-I k)/2);
If[i + 1 <= n, h[[b[i + 1], a[i]]] = 1, Null];
If[i - 1 > 0, h[[a[i - 1], b[i]]] = 1, Null];
h[[a[i], b[i]]] = E^((I k)/2) + E^((-I k)/2)
, {i, 1, n}]


the above code is to generate the hamiltonian matrix with dimension 2n


eigen = Eigenvalues[h];

Plot[x /. x -> eigen[[1]], {k, 0, \[Pi]}]

the plot is as follows:


eigen


It is quite good at the beginning, but totally messed up in the end.So the first question is: What was wrong with the ugly tail?


Finally, about plotting eigenvalues, I only have one more method, that is to calculate the eigenvalues at the discrete point within the range of the parameter and then ListPlot them. But this method has a disadvantage, Because all the eigenvalues are in random order. So which point belongs to which curve can only be judged by eyes, and using this method, I can not plot different eigenvalue curve with different color especially when two curves intersect. So is there better solutions?




Answer



Looks like you get small imaginary residuals that are not chopped in V8 (but are in V9).


Plot[eigen[[1]] // Im, {k, 0, \[Pi]}]


Adding a Re (or Chop or similar) gets rid of those for good:


Plot[eigen[[1]] // Re, {k, 0, \[Pi]}]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...