Skip to main content

Pattern matching multiple symbols names and powers


Seemingly a relatively simple problem, I can't seem to find a solution...


I want to build a pattern that will match any symbol whose name starts with V, and is elevated at any power. Something on the line of:


MatchQ[#1, (V1 | V2 | V3)^_.] & /@ {V1, V1^2, V2}

That returns true for each of the entries. I haven't found a way to put constrains on the symbol name, if not by using SymbolName[] and working with string patterns:


MatchQ[#1, (_)?(StringMatchQ[SymbolName[#1], "V" ~~ __] &)^_.] & /@ {V1, V1^2, V2}

However, it doesn't look exactly beautiful... (only to me?) :-) Is there a more compact and elegant way of putting constraints on a symbol name? I'm feeling like I'm totally missing a very obvious function that would do that...




Answer



I believe that if you want to match a Symbol by its constituent characters that you do need to use string patterns, therefore your solution is reasonable. I recommend a variation:


p2 = s_Symbol^_. /; StringMatchQ[SymbolName[s], "V*"]

s_Symbol makes sure that the expression that is passed to SymbolName is actually a Symbol. I also find it somewhat more readable. Test:


MatchQ[p2] /@ {V1, V1^2, V2, x^2, y}   (* v10 operator form syntax *)


{True, True, True, False, False}


The use of Condition rather than PatternTest makes it easier if you may be working with held expressions and need to add Unevaluated:


p3 = s_Symbol^_. /; StringMatchQ[SymbolName[Unevaluated@s], "V*"]

This allows:


V1 = "Fail!";
Cases[Hold[V1, V1^2, V2, x^2, y], x : p2 :> Hold[x]]
V1 =.;


{Hold[V1], Hold[V1^2], Hold[V2]}


To make the code a bit prettier consider an abstraction such as:


symPat = s_Symbol /; StringMatchQ[SymbolName[Unevaluated@s], #] &;

Then simply:


Cases[{V1, V1^2, V2, x^2, y}, symPat["V*"]^_.]


{V1, V1^2, V2}


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...