Skip to main content

programming - How to test whether an expression is a valid variable?


I would like to test whether an argument is a valid variable for functions like Solve and DSolve. For instance several functions generate a "dsvar" or "ivar" message on bad input:




DSolve::dsvar: 2 x cannot be used as a variable. >>
Integrate::ivar: Sin[x] is not a valid variable. >>



I would like to check an argument before passing it onto one of these functions.


I used the function withBlockedVars in this answer to come up with what seems like a maybe-not-very-bad way. I block the variable and attempt to assign a value to it.


ClearAll[withBlockedVars];
SetAttributes[withBlockedVars, HoldRest];
withBlockedVars[Hold[expr_], code_] :=
With[{heldVars =

Thread[Cases[Unevaluated[expr],
s_Symbol /; Context[s] === "Global`" && DownValues[s] === {} :> HoldComplete[s],
Infinity,
Heads -> True],
HoldComplete]},
heldVars /. HoldComplete[vars_List] :> Block[vars, code]]


SetAttributes[variableQ, HoldAll];
variableQ[x_] := withBlockedVars[Hold[x], Quiet@Check[x = 0; True, False]];


Tests:


t = 2;
variableQ[2^t]
(* False *)

t = 2; x = 3;
variableQ[x[2^t]]
(* True *)


variableQ[t[2]]
(* True *)

variableQ[Subscript[t, 2]]
(* True *)

My use-case is for defining functions, something like this:


f[eqn_Equal, var_?variableQ] := code

The code might call NDSolve or Plot and so on.



Is there a better way to check var? Perhaps there is a built-in function I missed?


[Edit: Any solution involving Pattern, PatternTest, Condition etc. would be acceptable. I'm not sure I can think of all the alternative possibilities.]



Answer



It seems to me that for the basic case described in the question it would be best to simply check if a System function considers it valid, as I did for Pattern that matches colors. Therefore:


variableQ = Quiet @ ListQ @ Solve[{}, #] &;

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...