Skip to main content

functions - NestList with a list inside?


I'm new to Mathematica, and was looking for more efficient ways to implement the Do loop below. a, b, c and d are all constants, but I'm also using a list in the loop. Is this possible to implement with NestList? I haven't been able to find any examples with a list being used inside of NestList.


Do[
X = Tanh[a.input[[i]] + b.X + c];
Y = d.X;
YOut = Append[YOut, Y];
,{i, Length[input]}];


Thanks!


*


Sorry for the confusion, I tried to simplify my code for the sake of brevity.


Do[
X = Tanh[Win.input[[i]] + Wres.X + Wbias]];
Y = WOUT.X;
YOut = Append[YOut, Y];
, {i, Length[input]}
];


Win, Wres, Wbias, and WOUT are all appropriately sized matrices. This do loop is part of a testing routine for Reservoir Computing, a type of machine learning.


With help from your answer, I'm rewriting the above as:


f = WOUT.(Tanh[Wbias + Win.#2 + WRes.#1]) &;
YOut = FoldList[f, X, input];

Will try it out now. Thanks for the help!


EDIT - If anyone is looking for a reservoir computing implementation in Mathematica, I've added mine to Github - https://github.com/huvers/reservoir_computing



Answer



Taking into account clarification after editting the question I guess the most direct solution you are looking for is Fold (or FoldList) rather than Nest (or NestList) even though you might succeed with the latter. Regardless of objects a, b, c, d, X, Y etc. or Win, Wbias, WOUT, WRes being scalars or matrices we can proceed defining an appropriate function for the Fold construct.
At first let's define an example of matrix objects:



{a, b, c, d} = 
{{{1, 2}, {-1, 1}}, {{1, 0}, {0, -1}}, {{0, 1}, {1, 0}}, {{-2, 1}, {1, -1}}};
id = IdentityMatrix[2];
input = {0 id, 1 id, 2 id};

Next we can define for the following pure function:


 f = d.Tanh[ a.#2 + b.#1 + c]&;

then it yields YOut:


FoldList[ f, {{x11, x12}, {x21, x22}}, input]


while this yields the last entry of YOut:


Fold[f, {{x11, x12}, {x21, x22}}, input]

For example choosing


X = {{0, 0}, {0, 0}};

we have


Fold[ f, {{0, 0}, {0, 0}}, input] 



{{-2 Tanh[2 + Tanh[Tanh[1]] - 2 Tanh[1 + Tanh[1]]] 
- Tanh[1 - Tanh[Tanh[1]] + Tanh[1 + Tanh[1]]],
-2 Tanh[ 5 - 2 Tanh[3 - 2 Tanh[1]] + Tanh[1 - Tanh[1]]]
+ Tanh[2 - Tanh[3 - 2 Tanh[1]] + Tanh[1 - Tanh[1]]]},
{ Tanh[2 + Tanh[Tanh[1]] - 2 Tanh[1 + Tanh[1]]]
+ Tanh[1 - Tanh[Tanh[1]] + Tanh[1 + Tanh[1]]],
Tanh[5 - 2 Tanh[3 - 2 Tanh[1]] + Tanh[1 - Tanh[1]]]
- Tanh[2 - Tanh[3 - 2 Tanh[1]] + Tanh[1 - Tanh[1]]]}}


Let's choose another example of scalar objects:


Clear[f, X, a, b, c, d, id, input]

input = {0, 1, 2};
{a, b, c, d} = {1, 2, 3, 4};
f = d Tanh[a #2 + b #1 + c] &;

then we have e.g.


Fold[ f, 0, input]



4 Tanh[ 5 + 8 Tanh[ 4 + 8 Tanh[3]]]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...