Skip to main content

image processing - How can I properly Partition "IntensityData" output from "ComponentMeasurements"? (Recovering the (x, y) dimensions of a rect. morph. component?)


When I ask ComponentMeasurements to return "IntensityData" for some set of rectangular morphological components:


m = MorphologicalComponents[image, Method -> "BoundingBox"];
intensityDataArray = ComponentMeasurements[{m, image}, "IntensityData"][[All, 2]];

The pixel value data is returned as an unpartitioned one-dimensional array. This makes it difficult for me to understand where a particular pixel is in the image. Now, if I know the exact dimensions of each morphological component, I suppose I could fix the problem using Partition. I could also fix the problem with Partition if I could ask for something like a bounding square instead of a bounding rectangular box, though I don't think this is possible (is it?).


Besides manually measuring the dimensions of each rectangular morphological component, is there a workaround to fix this problem?



Letting m consist of strictly rectangular morphological components, it would, for example, be very nice to be able to write something like:


ComponentMeasurements[m, "Dimensions"][[All, 2]]

And have this return something like:


{{5,8}, {87, 40}, {7, 7}, ...}

Meaning that we have morphological components of dimensions $(x, y) = (5 \times 8)$, $(87 \times 40)$, $(7 \times 7)$, and so forth. Here, we're provided ordered values for the extent of the component along the $x$- and $y$-axes, respectively, allowing us to trivially use Partition to restore the cropped section of an image underlying a morphological component (i.e. the image one would have if a morphological component is used as a "cropping mask").




Clarification: Masking approaches are really neat, but not quite what I'm looking for here unless they're part of a larger approach. I need a method of grabbing the pixel data strictly underlying a morphological component (for a set of morphological components) and retaining $(x, y)$ data for each pixel. My downstream procedure then does further image processesing on this rectangular matrix. If I do a matrix multiplication masking procedure, I still need to trim away the dark space to get down to a bounding box (the size of the morphological component mask).


Also, it seems a little wasteful to have to perform multiplication operation on all pixels in the image to accomplish my goal?




Answer



I'm answering the question you posted in a comment:



but how do I then crop to a bounding box around that component



List I said, the easiest way is probably to measure the "BoundingBox"es and pass them to ImageTrim:


image=ExampleData[{"TestImage","APC"}]

enter image description here


m=MorphologicalComponents[Binarize@ColorNegate[ColorConvert[image,"Grayscale"]]];

Colorize[m]

enter image description here


components=ComponentMeasurements[{m,image},{"Area","BoundingBox"},#1>100&];
ImageTrim[image,#]&/@components[[All,2,2]]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...