Skip to main content

Removing pairs that meet a given criterion from a list



Let $(x_{min},x_{max})$ and $(y_{min},y_{max})$ represent lowerbound and upperbound acceptable values for some coordinate $c_i$.


Setting $x_{min} = y_{min} = 1$ & $x_{max} = y_{max} = 9$, how can I take a list of values, e.g.:


val = {{0, 10}, {2, 10}, {4, 4}, {5, 6}, {10, 4}};

and use DeleteCases to get rid of coordinates such as {0, 10}, {2,10}, & {10,4} (the examples in the above list) where either the $x$ or $y$ component of a pair is outside of the specified upper and lower bounds for acceptable values? Is DeleteCases an appropriate tool for large arrays?



Answer




You can achieve the same end with DeleteCases or Cases.


f signals a coordinate that is out of bounds.


g signals that a coordinate is in bounds.


f[n_] := n < 1 \[Or] n > 9
g[n_] := 1 <= n <= 9

Four ways to filter out the outlying points:


v[k] generates 10^k values between {0, 0} and {10, 10})


v[k_] := Table[{r, r}, {10^k}];




  1. Delete the points that have an out-of-bounds coordinate.


    DeleteCases[v[k], {x_, y_} /; f[x] \[Or] f[y]]


  2. Delete the points that are not in-bounds.


    DeleteCases[v[k], {x_, y_} /; \[Not] (g[x] \[And] g[y])]



  3. Keep points that are not out-of-bounds.


    Cases[v[k], {x_, y_} /; \[Not] (f[x] \[Or] f[y])]


  4. Keep points that are in-bounds.


    Cases[v[k], {x_, y_} /; (g[x] \[And] g[y])]


Timings


    r = Table[{AbsoluteTiming[DeleteCases[v[k], {x_, y_} /; f[x] \[Or] f[y]];],

AbsoluteTiming[DeleteCases[v[k], {x_, y_} /; \[Not] (g[x] \[And]g[y])];],
AbsoluteTiming[Cases[v[k], {x_, y_} /; \[Not] (f[x] \[Or] f[y])];],
AbsoluteTiming[Cases[v[k], {x_, y_} /; (g[x] \[And] g[y])];]}, {k, 3, 7}]
Grid@Prepend[ r[[All, All, 1]], {"Delete f", "Delete not-g", "Cases not-f", "Cases g"}]

The results with DeleteCases and Cases (from 10^3 to 10^7 points) show that DeleteCases with function g gives the fastest analysis.


results


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...