Skip to main content

data - How to avoid creating negative values when using Interpolation?


I'm having some problems with Interpolation. I'm trying to interpolating some measurements data into mathematica. But using Interpolation will create some negative data, which is actually not possible in the real life.


For example, I'm trying to interpolate these data:


fct = Interpolation[{0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 140.6833333, 24.58333333,
3.5, 98.86666667, 0.8, 2.233333333, 0.983333333, 0.466666667,
5.983333333, 0.583333333, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
11.5, 7.333333333, 27.13333333, 263.7833333, 316.9166667, 429.2,

532.4666667, 567.4833333, 486.4333333, 61.98333333, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
0}]

Then I try to visualize them


Plot[fct[i], {i, 1, 48}]

Only to find that there is a little part of the function that lies unter the x axis.


enter image description here


Is there any way to avoid this? Thank you all in advance!



Answer




Sometimes, a linear interpolation is sufficient and setting


InterpolationOrder->1

can avoid over/under-shoots in the interpolated function.


EDIT


You can also use an auxiliary function made to keep the values non-negative while keeping a sort of smoothness:


ClearAll[keepPositive];
Attributes[keepPositive] = {Listable};
keepPositive[x_] := Piecewise[{{Tanh[x - 1] + 1, x <= 1}, {x, True}}]


Now, you can do:


keepPositiveCoeff = 10;

fct = Interpolation[keepPositiveCoeff {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
140.6833333, 24.58333333,
3.5, 98.86666667, 0.8, 2.233333333, 0.983333333, 0.466666667,
5.983333333, 0.583333333, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
11.5, 7.333333333, 27.13333333, 263.7833333, 316.9166667, 429.2,
532.4666667, 567.4833333, 486.4333333, 61.98333333, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
0}, InterpolationOrder -> 2];


Plot[keepPositive[fct[i]]/keepPositiveCoeff, {i, 1, 48}]

and see that it never goes below zero.


For me it looks better with InterpolationOrder -> 2.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...