Skip to main content

plotting - Revolution plot with 2 variable


I'm having trouble with RevolutionPlot3D with two variables.


I have this parabola



 ContourPlot[0 == y^2 + x + y + 5, {x, -15, 5}, {y, -10, 10}, AxesLabel -> {x, y, z}]

but when I try to do RevolutionPlot3D with the equation


RevolutionPlot3D[{(y^2 + y + x + 5)}, {y, -5, 5}, {x, -5, 5}, 
RevolutionAxis -> {1, 0, 0}, PlotRange -> All, AxesLabel -> {x, y, z}]

it won't work, because x should be an Theta. How can I have something similar to


RevolutionPlot3D[{(y^2 + y + 5)}, {y, -5, 5}, {\[Theta], 0, 2 \[Pi]}, 
RevolutionAxis -> {1, 0, 0}, PlotRange -> All, AxesLabel -> {x, y, z}]


with a second variable?



Answer



Sometimes you cannot solve for $x$ in terms of $y$ or vice versa: what to do then? One approach is to exploit NDSolve by turning your (implicit) equation into a differential equation. The solution will give $x$ and $y$ in terms of a parameter, which is what RevolutionPlot prefers. This requires an additional equation: I use one that parameterizes the curve by arclength, to make the interpretation of the parameter especially easy.


(The example in the question doesn't need this treatment--but it does require you to recognize that $x$ should be solved for $y$ instead of the other way around. In general neither variable will serve as a parameter: the solution becomes "multiple valued.")


Cubics already get complicated enough, so here to illustrate the procedure, and show how mechanical it is, is a manipulation of a generic cubic curve, rotated around the vertical axis. The equation of the curve is implicitly given by the function f (controlled via two manipulated parameters b and c). The code converts this into a differential equation (using D), solves it for a specified starting point $(x_0, y_0)$, and displays the revolution plot for a $100$ unit section of the curve centered at the starting point (with color representing the parameter itself). Enjoy!


Manipulate[Block[{f, x, y, u, v, t},
f[x_, y_] := x y^2 - x^3 - b x^2 y + c y^3;
{u, v} = {x, y} /. NDSolve[{D[f[x[t], y[t]], t] == 0,
x'[t]^2 + y'[t]^2 == 1, y[0] == y0, x[0] == x0}, {x, y}, {t, -50, 50}];
RevolutionPlot3D[Evaluate @ Through[u[t]], {t, -50, 50},

ColorFunction -> (ColorData["Rainbow"][#4] &), PlotStyle -> Opacity[0.9]]
],
{b, -10, 10}, {c, -10, 10}, {x0, -20, 20}, {y0, -20, 20}
]

Revolution plot


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...