Skip to main content

equation solving - NDSolve with vectors


I'm stumped. I'm trying to write this using vectors, but the 2nd derivative isn't being expanded like I expected it to be. This is a system of equations for a projectile with quadratic drag and gravity (the linear drag is ignored for now). Negative Z is down, X and Y are the horizontal plane. If I write it as 9 equations, one for each coordinate, it works fine, but I'd rather use vectors since it is shorter and (to at least me) more obvious what is going on. Plus since I am new to Mathematica it would be good to learn more/better ways to use it.


gravity = 10;

withDrag[p0_, v0_, drag_] :=
NDSolve[{
p[0] == p0,
p'[0] == v0,
p''[t] == drag * Norm[p'[t]] * p'[t] + {0,0,-gravity}},
{p}, {t, 0, 5}]

withDrag[{0,0,0}, {0,10^4,10}, 0.001]

I get:



NDSolve::ndfdmc: Computed derivatives do not have dimensionality consistent with the initial conditions. >>

NDSolve[{
p[0] == {0, 0, 0},
p'[0] == {0, 10000, 10},
p''[t] == {
0.001 Norm[p'[t]] p'[t],
0.001 Norm[p'[t]] p'[t],
-10 + 0.001 Norm[p'[t]] p'[t]}},
{p}, {t,0,5}]


I formatted the output to make the error more obvious. Each of elements of the p'' vector has all three elements of p'[t]. Each one should really be p'[t][[dim]] (or something like that).


Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong?



Answer



Mathematica doesn't have vector variables (yet). That is to say, you can assign a list to a variable, but you cannot use a variable in a function like NDSolve and let Mathematica work out its dimensions or let the dimensions be undetermined.


If you change your function to this:


gravity = 10;
withDrag[p0_, v0_, drag_] :=
Module[{p},
p[t_] := {p1[t], p2[t], p3[t]};

p[t] /.
NDSolve[
Thread /@ {
p[0] == p0,
p'[0] == v0,
p''[t] == drag*Norm[p'[t]]*p'[t] + {0, 0, -gravity}} // Flatten,
p[t],
{t, 0, 5}
]// First
]


it works. What is does is defining your p as a vector (list) of functions. Thread takes care of distributing == over the vector components and Flatten makes a single list of equations from all this.


track[t_] = withDrag[{0, 0, 0}, {0, 10^2, 10}, 0.001];

ParametricPlot3D[track[t], {t, 0, 5}, BoxRatios -> 1]

Mathematica graphics


Note that I reduced the starting value of v0[[2]] to 10^2 because 10^4 yields a 'stiff' system. Also note that I used BoxRatios -> 1 to prevent the box from becoming flat.


While under the hood this method still provides Mathematica with the 9 equations that you already tried manually, it has the advantage that it leaves your vector equations intact.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...