Skip to main content

functions - Iterative loop for a given list


Suppose I have the following list:


l={{"a"}, {"a", "h"}, {"a", "d", "k", "r", "v"}, {"a", "b", "c", 
"k"}, {"a", "b", "c", "s", "u"}, {"a", "b", "f", "t"}, {"a", "b",
"e", "l", "n", "o"}, {"a", "b", "d", "n", "o"}, {"a", "b", "d", "e",
"n", "o"}, {"a", "b", "d", "e", "m", "n", "o", "t"}, {"a", "b",
"e", "s"}, {"a", "b", "e", "m", "n", "s", "t"}, {"a", "b", "h",
"s"}, {"a", "b", "d", "e", "h", "s"}, {"a", "b", "e", "h", "m", "n",

"s", "t"}, {"a", "b", "e", "t"}, {"a", "b", "e", "m", "n",
"t"}, {"a", "b", "i", "o", "r", "t"}, {"a", "b", "e"}, {"a", "b",
"e", "s"}}

In the following command I take each element in the list above, find the subsets of it of size 2 and sort them by frequency, I then make a new list and replace the most frequent pair by a name as follow:


Tally[Flatten[Map[Subsets[#, {2}] &, Select[l, Length[#1] >= 1 &]], 
1]];
Pairs = Sort[%, #1[[2]] < #2[[2]] &] // Reverse
l1 = l //. {OrderlessPatternSequence[Pairs[[1, 1, 1]],
Pairs[[1, 1, 2]], p___]} :> {Pairs[[1, 1]] // Capitalize //

StringJoin, p}

I want to do the same 20 times, each time the operation Tally and Pairs shall produce a new list, so for example the next list would form as:


 Tally[Flatten[Map[Subsets[#, {2}] &, Select[l1, Length[#1] >= 1 &]], 
1]];
Pairs = Sort[%, #1[[2]] < #2[[2]] &] // Reverse
l2 = l1 //. {OrderlessPatternSequence[Pairs[[1, 1, 1]],
Pairs[[1, 1, 2]], p___]} :> {Pairs[[1, 1]] // Capitalize //
StringJoin, p}


and so on. How one does this using do/for/function?



Answer



ClearAll[replace]
replace = With[{commonest = Commonest[Flatten[Map[Subsets[#, {2}] &, #], 1]][[1]] },
# //. {OrderlessPatternSequence[##& @@ commonest , p___]} :>
{StringJoin[ToUpperCase[commonest]], p} ]&;

Nest[replace, l, 4]



{{"a"}, {"a", "h"}, {"a", "d", "k", "r", "v"}, {"AB", "c", "k"}, {"AB", "c", "s", "u"}, {"AB", "f", "t"}, {"ABEN", "l", "o"}, {"AB", "d", "n", "o"}, {"ABEN", "d", "o"}, {"ABENM", "d", "o", "t"}, {"ABE", "s"}, {"ABENM", "s", "t"}, {"AB", "h", "s"}, {"ABE", "d", "h", "s"}, {"ABENM", "h", "s", "t"}, {"ABE", "t"}, {"ABENM", "t"}, {"AB", "i", "o", "r", "t"}, {"ABE"}, {"ABE", "s"}}



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...