Skip to main content

stochastic calculus - How to reformulate differential equation problem as OrnsteinUhlenbeckProcess


I have the following differential equation


m*x''[t] + k*x'[t] - randomForce[t] == 0

which describes an oscillating particle with mass m, moving in a medium with friction coefficient k and excited by a random white noise force randomForce.


As I understand from the documentation (guide/StochasticDifferentialEquationProcesses) instead of solving the differential equation I could also use e.g. the corresponding OrnsteinUhlenbeckProcess.



In my case are: m = 6.137*10^-10; (* in g *); k = 9.2055*10^-10; (* in g/s *).


How can the OrnsteinUhlenbeckProcess be used to solve the upper differential equation?


Please see also the related question.



Answer



One could do:


k = 9.2055*10^-10;
m = 6.137*10^-10;

proc[x0_, v0_, γ_, f_] = ItoProcess[
{\[DifferentialD]x[t] == v[t] \[DifferentialD]t,

\[DifferentialD]v[t] == -γ v[t] \[DifferentialD]t + f \[DifferentialD]w[t]},
{x[t], v[t]}, {{x, v}, {x0, v0}}, t, w \[Distributed] WienerProcess[]]

Then one can calculate properties:


Mean[proc[x0, v0, γ, f][t]]
(* {(v0 - E^(-t γ) v0 + x0 γ)/γ, E^(-t γ) v0} *)

or do simulations:


sims0 = RandomFunction[proc[0.5, 1.1,  k/m, 0.0], {0., 10., 0.01}]
sims = RandomFunction[proc[0.5, 1.1, k/m, 0.2], {0., 10., 0.01}]


ListLinePlot[{sims0["ValueList"][[1, All, 1]], sims["ValueList"][[1, All, 1]]},
PlotLegends -> Placed[{"f=0.0", "f=0.2"}, {Right, Center}], AxesLabel -> {"time", "x[t]"}]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...