Skip to main content

recursion - How do I built a zoomable Koch curve?


I'm new to Mathematica and my goal is to write a simple program in order to demonstrate self-similarity of the Koch curve by zooming in. Here is a good example of what I mean (it's a Java applet). I was going to start learning the built-in powers of Mathematica for a long time and it seems to be a good opportunity. Given the simplicity of the program and popularity of fractals I was sure I'd find many working examples online, yet it turned out to be not the case.


In particular, how can one make this zoomable:


f[form_, {a_, b_}] := 
AffineTransform[{{b - a, ({{0, -1}, {1, 0}}).(b - a)}\[Transpose],
a}][1/Norm[
Last[form] - First[form]] TranslationTransform[-First[form]][
form]]

g[form_, points_] :=

Flatten[Map[f[form, #] &, Partition[points, 2, 1]], 1]

Manipulate[form = Append[Prepend[pts, {-Sqrt[3], 1}], {Sqrt[3], 1}];
base = Nest[g[form, #] &, form, refinements];
If[maketriangle,
triangle =
Join[base, RotationTransform[4 \[Pi]/3.][base],
RotationTransform[2 \[Pi]/3.][base]]];
plaatje =
Graphics[{If[

maketriangle, {ColorData[1][1], Polygon[triangle]}, {}],
AbsoluteThickness[1.3], Line[If[maketriangle, triangle, base]],
If[refinements == 0, {Thick, Line[form]}, {}]},
PlotRange -> {{-3.5, 3.5}, {-2.3, 2.3}},
AspectRatio ->
Automatic], {{pts, {{-Sqrt[3]/3, 1}, {0, 2}, {Sqrt[3]/3, 1}}},
Locator, LocatorAutoCreate -> True,
ContinuousAction ->
If[refinements > 2, False, True]}, {{refinements, 0,
"Refinements"}, 0, 6, 1,

SetterBar}, {{maketriangle, True, "Make triangle"}, {True, False}},
SynchronousUpdating -> False, SaveDefinitions -> True]

Source: Create Alternative Koch Snowflakes



Answer



I'm sure you can make it slicker, but one way to approach this is to change the plotrange dynamically. Here I've added four sliders to change the x and y scaling and the x and y offset. As in your original code, the amount of detail in the curve is given by the refinement variable.


enter image description here


f[form_, {a_, b_}] := 
AffineTransform[{{b - a, ({{0, -1}, {1, 0}}).(b - a)}\[Transpose],
a}][1/Norm[

Last[form] - First[form]] TranslationTransform[-First[form]][
form]]

g[form_, points_] :=
Flatten[Map[f[form, #] &, Partition[points, 2, 1]], 1]

Manipulate[form = Append[Prepend[pts, {-Sqrt[3], 1}], {Sqrt[3], 1}];
base = Nest[g[form, #] &, form, refinements];
If[maketriangle,
triangle =

Join[base, RotationTransform[4 \[Pi]/3.][base],
RotationTransform[2 \[Pi]/3.][base]]];
plaatje =
Graphics[{If[
maketriangle, {ColorData[1][1], Polygon[triangle]}, {}],
AbsoluteThickness[1.3], Line[If[maketriangle, triangle, base]],
If[refinements == 0, {Thick, Line[form]}, {}]},
PlotRange ->
Dynamic[{{-3.5, 3.5} xzoom + xoff, {-2.3, 2.3} yzoom + yoff}],
AspectRatio ->

Automatic], {{pts, {{-Sqrt[3]/3, 1}, {0, 2}, {Sqrt[3]/3, 1}}},
Locator, LocatorAutoCreate -> True,
ContinuousAction ->
If[refinements > 2, False, True]}, {{refinements, 0,
"Refinements"}, 0, 6, 1,
SetterBar}, {{maketriangle, True, "Make triangle"}, {True,
False}}, {xzoom, 1, 0}, {yzoom, 1, 0}, {xoff, -1, 1}, {yoff, -1, 1},
SynchronousUpdating -> False, SaveDefinitions -> True]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...