Skip to main content

pattern matching - Assign value to an odd function



I defined an odd function by


f[0]:=0;
f[x_?Negative]:=-f[-x]


Now I want to define the function for certain known values


Case a) If the known value is positive, it has no problem, i.e.:


f[1]:=7

it perfectly works because when I require f[-1] Mathematica tell me the correct answer -7;


Case b) If the known value is negative


f[-3]:=5

Mathematica store it but when I ask it f[3] it doesn't write -5.


I know this is because of my very definition, but it's an elegant way (possibly without helper functions and without storing manually both values at x and -x) to get the correct result?




Answer



Because Mathematica prioritizes specific function definitions over general ones, simply making the definition


M[i_, j_] := -M[j, i]

will work as long as you only try to evaluate M with values for i and j for which either M[i, j] or M[j, i] have been explicitly defined. Otherwise you get infinite recursion:


M[1, 2] := a
M[4, 3] := b

M[1, 2]
(* a *)


M[2, 1]
(* -a *)

M[3, 4]
(* -b *)

M[1, 3]
(* $RecursionLimit::reclim2: Recursion depth of 1024 exceeded during evaluation of M[3,1]. *)
(* Hold[-M[3, 1]] *)


Clear[M]

To avoid this, we can make a definition for M that only allows itself to be recursed twice, like so:


Module[{n = 0},
M[i_, j_] /; n < 2 := Block[{n = n + 1}, -M[j, i]]
]

The variable n counts the number of times that this definition of M has been called recursively. If n is less than two, the definition applies, and the i and j are swapped. When n is equal to two, the definition doesn't apply, and evaluation terminates. Since at this point the definition has been applied twice, the original expression is returned.


Now we have



M[1, 2] := a
M[4, 3] := b

M[1, 2]
(* a *)

M[2, 1]
(* -a *)

M[3, 4]

(* -b *)

M[1, 3]
(* M[1, 3] *)

(Side note: Mathematica colors the n in the Block expression red, because it thinks that we've created a naming conflict between the Module and the Block, but in fact it works just how we want.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?