Skip to main content

hold - Element of list not evaluating derivative after I define function


I have the following code


Clear[AdomTrunctest, AdomPolyNtest, ListPolytest, y];
AdomTrunctest = 3;
ExDtest := Sum[D[y[n, t], t], {n, 0, AdomTrunctest}];

Ntest = Expand[(y'[t])^2 /. y'[t] -> ExDtest ];
ListPolytest =
Reverse[MonomialList[
Ntest /. y[x_, z_] -> EPS^x*y[x, z] /.
Derivative[A_, B_][y][x_, z_] ->
EPS^x*Derivative[A, B][y][x, z], EPS]] /. EPS -> 1;
For[i = 0, i < AdomTrunctest + 1, i++,
AdomPolyNtest[i] = ListPolytest[[i + 1]]]
For[i = 0, i < AdomTrunctest + 1, i++,
Print["A", i, " = ", AdomPolyNtest[i]]]


y[0, t_] = 1 + 2 t

Print["A", 0, " = ", AdomPolyNtest[0]]

My issue is with the last few lines, if you run this code you will see the third last line prints the general form of the so called polynomials I am calculating, everything is good. However once I define y[0, t_] = 1 + 2 t in the second to last line, I expect now that once I call AdomPolyNtest[0] in the last line, that the derivative of y[0,t] be evaluated, and not left general, but it is instead left general. I believe this is because I have replaced ExDtest which was SetDelayedwith Derivative within the MonomialList command, so it is no longer "evaluated afresh" each time it is called.



Answer



After


Clear[AdomTrunctest, AdomPolyNtest, ListPolytest, y];
AdomTrunctest = 3;

ExDtest := Sum[D[y[n, t], t], {n, 0, AdomTrunctest}];
Ntest = Expand[(y'[t])^2 /. y'[t] -> ExDtest ];
ListPolytest =
Reverse[MonomialList[
Ntest /. y[x_, z_] -> EPS^x*y[x, z] /.
Derivative[A_, B_][y][x_, z_] ->
EPS^x*Derivative[A, B][y][x, z], EPS]] /. EPS -> 1;
For[i = 0, i < AdomTrunctest + 1, i++, AdomPolyNtest[i] = ListPolytest[[i + 1]]]
For[i = 0, i < AdomTrunctest + 1, i++, Print["A", i, " = ", AdomPolyNtest[i]]]


instead of locking in an explicit expression for y, consider defining a substitution function such as


suby = { y :> (If[#1 === 0, 1 + 2 #2, y[#1, #2]] &) }

This will substitute the implicit function 1+2 #2 in place of y (where #2 is the second argument of y) if the first argument of y is equal to #1 === 0:


Print["A", 0, " = ", AdomPolyNtest[0] /. suby]


A0 = 4



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...