Skip to main content

mathematical optimization - How to find all the local minima/maxima in a range


I want to find :



  • all local maxima in range

  • all local minima in range



From those points I can interpolate and combine functions upper and lower boundary. What I am really interested in, is the mean function of those boundaries.


enter image description here


Data model for this plot:


GetRLine3[MMStdata_, IO_: 1][x_: x] := ListInterpolation[#, InterpolationOrder -> IO,
Method -> "Spline"][x] & /@ (({{#[[1]]}, #[[2]]}) & /@ # & /@ MMStdata);
data = Transpose[{# + RandomReal[]*0.1 & /@ Range[-10, 30, 0.4],
Tanh[#] + (Sech[2 x - 0.5]/1.5 + 1.5) /. x -> # & /@ Range[-4, 4, 0.08]}];
xLimits = {Min@#1, Max@#1} & @@ Transpose[data];
f = D[GetRLine3[{data}, 3][x], x];


Edit: As my effort:


minimums = DeleteDuplicates[Round[x /. Last[FindMinimum[f, {x, #}]] & /@ Transpose[data][[1]], 0.0001]]
minimumvalues = (f /. x -> #)[[1]] & /@ minimums;
minimumData := Transpose[{minimums, minimumvalues}];
maximums = DeleteDuplicates[Round[x /. Last[FindMaximum[f, {x, #}]] & /@ Transpose[data][[1]], 0.0001]];
maximumsvalues = (f /. x -> #)[[1]] & /@ maximums;
maximumsData := Transpose[{maximums, maximumsvalues}];

maxf = Max[{GetRLine3[{maximumsData}, 3][x], f}]
minf = Min[{GetRLine3[{minimumData}, 3][x], f}]

mf = Mean[{maxf, minf}]

This was what I was trying to make: enter image description here


I still get quite few warnings and I'm sure it's not the best solution. I don't like the DeleteDuplicates@Round@ part, but it was necessarily to get the interpolation function working.



Answer



This can be done using event location within NDSolve. I start off as below (note f is slightly modified from what you have, mostly to rescale it).


GetRLine3[MMStdata_, IO_: 1][x_: x] := 
ListInterpolation[#, InterpolationOrder -> IO, Method -> "Spline"][
x] & /@ (({{#[[1]]}, #[[2]]}) & /@ # & /@ MMStdata);
data = Transpose[{# + RandomReal[]*0.1 & /@ Range[-10, 30, 0.4],

Tanh[#] + (Sech[2 x - 0.5]/1.5 + 1.5) /. x -> # & /@
Range[-4, 4, 0.08]}];

xLimits = {Min@#1, Max@#1} & @@ Transpose[data];
f = First[100*D[GetRLine3[{data}, 3][x], x]];

We'll recapture f using NDSolve, and locate the points where the derivative vanishes in the process.


vals = Reap[
soln = y[x] /.
First[NDSolve[{y'[x] == Evaluate[D[f, x]],

y[-9.9] == (f /. x -> -9.9)}, y[x], {x, -9.9, 30},
Method -> {"EventLocator", "Event" -> y'[x],
"EventAction" :> Sow[{x, y[x]}]}]]][[2, 1]];

Visual check:


Plot[f, {x, -9.9, 30}, 
Epilog -> {PointSize[Medium], Red, Point[vals]}]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...