Skip to main content

performance tuning - Space-efficient null space of sparse array


I have a roughly 100,000 × 3,000 matrix (as a SparseArray) that I'd like to find the kernel (null space) of. It has about 500,000 nonzero entries, all -1 or 1.


When I tried with NullSpace, it ate up 8 GB of RAM, complained about insufficient memory and shut down:


No more memory available.
Mathematica kernel has shut down.

Try quitting other applications and then retry.

Is there a better way to do this? Something a bit more efficient with memory (either a different Mathematica technique or a different language altogether)?


I don't think there's any structure in the matrix to exploit, beyond what I've mentioned.



Answer



Here is the method I outlined. I'll illustrate on a small example where we split matrix into top and bottom halves.


In[794]:= SeedRandom[1111];
halfsize = 3;
mat = RandomInteger[{-4, 4}, {2*halfsize, 10}]


Out[796]= {{-3, -1, 3, -3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 2}, {3, 3, -3, 0, 0,
1, -2, -4, 0, -1}, {-3, 4, 3, 0, -2, 4, 3, -2, -2, -2}, {2, 2, 4,
0, -4, 4, -1, -4, 1, -1}, {-2, 4, 3, 4, 1, -1, 4, 1, 4, 0}, {-3,
4, -1, -3, 0, 1, 1, 0, 4, 4}}

{top, bottom} = Partition[mat, halfsize];

First find a set of null vectors for the top half.


In[800]:= n1 = NullSpace[top]


Out[800]= {{-2, 9, 0, 13, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 21}, {-6, 6, 0, 32, 0, 0, 0,
0, 21, 0}, {10, 18, 0, 5, 0, 0, 0, 21, 0, 0}, {17, -3, 0, 5, 0, 0,
21, 0, 0, 0}, {8, -15, 0, 18, 0, 21, 0, 0, 0, 0}, {-6, 6, 0, 25, 21,
0, 0, 0, 0, 0}, {1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0}}

Nulls for the entire matrix must be in the null space of the bottom half and comprised of linear combinations of these. If you work out the linear algebra it goes like this: we get the linear combination multipliers as null vectors of the bottom times the first nulls.


In[808]:= multipliers = NullSpace[bottom.Transpose[n1]]

Out[808]= {{149, -479, 1057, 0, 0, 0, 6783}, {5732, 372, -13751, 0, 0,
4199, 0}, {4982, -3820, 6387, 0, 4199, 0, 0}, {201, -100, -70, 221,

0, 0, 0}}

In[813]:= nulls = multipliers.n1

Out[813]= {{19929, 17493, 6783, -8106, 0, 0, 0, 22197, -10059,
3129}, {-176400, -168504, 0, 122640, 88179, 0, 0, -288771, 7812,
120372}, {110418, 73899, 0, 50043, 0, 88179, 0, 134127, -80220,
104622}, {3255, -714, 0, 168, 0, 0, 4641, -1470, -2100, 4221}}

let's check that these are in fact null vectors for the full matrix.



In[814]:= Map[mat.# &, nulls]

Out[814]= {{0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
0}, {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0}}

This shows they are moreover linearly independent.


In[817]:= MatrixRank[nulls]

Out[817]= 4


For the size indicated in this post I'd advocate working at most a few thousand rows at a time, iterating this construction to get nulls for the sequence of partial matrices formed by top, top + second set of rows, top + second set + third set,...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?