Skip to main content

filtering - How to get list of duplicates when using DeleteDuplicates?



This might be easy, but can't find a way to use DeleteDuplicates to get also list of the actual duplicates.


Example:


lstA = {1, 2, 4, 4, 6, 7, 8, 8};
r = DeleteDuplicates[lstA]
(* {1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8} *)

I also wanted to get list of the actual duplicates, which are {4,8} in this example. It would have been nice if DeleteDuplicates would also return those, but there is no option there for that. I do not know what many Mathematica functions do not return back more useful information when called. Many seem to return one piece of information only, and one has to call another function to get another piece of information.


For example, here DeleteDuplicates could had an API like this


{r,d}=DeleteDuplicates[lst]


and r will contain the list after duplicates are moved, but d would contain the actual list of duplicates. To make it even more useful, it can be


{r,d,p}=DeleteDuplicates[lst]

Where p will be the positions of the duplicates in the original list. Matlab seems to do it this way. Many functions there can return more than one piece of information at a time. This might be due to WL being functional programming language, and designed for cascading function calls, where each function only does one thing at a time. I am not sure now.


DeleteDuplicates.html



Answer



Perhaps one of the simplest ways is to use Tally:


p = {1, 2, 4, 4, 6, 7, 8, 8};

Cases[Tally @ p, {x_, n_ /; n > 1} :> x]



{4, 8}

A somewhat faster formulation:


Pick[#, Unitize[#2 - 1], 1] & @@ Transpose[Tally @ p]

Taking the optimization to a rather excessive degree:


#[[SparseArray[#2, Automatic, 1]["AdjacencyLists"]]] & @@ Transpose[Tally @ p]




Though not as fast as the SparseArray optimized form of Tally, an alternative is to use Split after sorting. This is reasonably clean and fast:


Flatten[Split @ Sort @ p, {2}][[2]]


{4, 8}

For Integer data this method is twice as fast as any other listed here:


With[{s = Sort @ p},
DeleteDuplicates @

s[[ SparseArray[Unitize @ Differences @ s, Automatic, 1]["AdjacencyLists"] ]]
]



Timings


p = RandomInteger[1*^8, 1*^6];

Cases[Tally @ p, {x_, n_ /; n > 1} :> x] // Timing // First

Pick[#, Unitize[#2 - 1], 1] & @@ Transpose[Tally @ p] // Timing // First


#[[SparseArray[#2, Automatic, 1]["AdjacencyLists"]]] & @@ Transpose[Tally @ p] //
Timing // First

Flatten[Split @ Sort @ p, {2}][[2]] // Timing // First

With[{s = Sort @ p},
DeleteDuplicates @
s[[ SparseArray[Unitize @ Differences @ s, Automatic, 1]["AdjacencyLists"] ]]
] // Timing // First



0.827

0.343

0.265

0.343


0.11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...