Skip to main content

differential equations - Has this implementation of FDM touched the speed limit of Mathematica?


Still, I'll use the implementation of the 1D FDTD method (you can simply understand it as a kind of explicit finite difference scheme for the Maxwell's equation) as the example. Just for completeness, here is the 1D Maxwell's equation:


$$\mu \frac{\partial H_y}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial E_z}{\partial x}$$ $$\epsilon \frac{\partial E_z}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial H_y}{\partial x}$$


and the corresponding finite difference equation:


$$H_y^{q+\frac{1}{2}}\left[m+\frac{1}{2}\right]\text{==}H_y^{q-\frac{1}{2}}\left[m+\frac{1}{2}\right]+\frac{\Delta _t}{\mu \Delta _x}\left(E_z^q[m+1]-E_z^q[m]\right)$$ $$E_z^{q+1}[m]==E_z^q[m]+\frac{\Delta _t}{\epsilon \Delta _x}\left(H_y^{q+\frac{1}{2}}\left[m+\frac{1}{2}\right]-H_y^{q+\frac{1}{2}}\left[m-\frac{1}{2}\right]\right)$$


The toy code I've repeatedly used in several posts implementing the difference scheme is:


ie = 200;
ez = ConstantArray[0., {ie + 1}];
hy = ConstantArray[0., {ie}];


fdtd1d = Compile[{{steps}},
Module[{ie = ie, ez = ez, hy = hy},
Do[ez[[2 ;; ie]] += (hy[[2 ;; ie]] - hy[[1 ;; ie - 1]]);
ez[[1]] = Sin[n/10];
hy[[1 ;; ie]] += (ez[[2 ;; ie + 1]] - ez[[1 ;; ie]]), {n,
steps}]; ez]];

result = fdtd1d[10000]; // AbsoluteTiming


Notice that constants like $\mu$, $\Delta _t$ are omitted for simplicity.


Personally I think it's a typical example for the implementation of finite difference method (FDM), so here's the question: has this piece of code (at least almost) touched the speed limit of Mathematica? In fact several months ago, I found that if the code is rewrited with Julia, it'll be 4 times faster.


Indeed, I know this might be the case that one should use the best-suited tool for a specific job, but since I've already gained some stupid pride on using Mathematica and am unwilling to spend time to learn a new programming language (Wolfram is almost my first programming language, I used to learn some VB, but already gave it back to my teacher when started to use Mathematica), I still want to make sure if the Mathematica version of the code can be faster.


If it's the limitation, I'd like to know why there's such a big difference.


Any help would be appreciated.



Answer



Okay, this is a bit of an embarassment.


Here is a very small modification of the original code. I simply made explicit option settings, made a denominator to Sin explicitly real, that kind of thing. My tests show the same timing as the original, give or take an iota.


ie = 200;
ez = ConstantArray[0., {ie + 1}];

hy = ConstantArray[0., {ie}];

fdtd1d = Compile[{{steps}},
Module[{ie = ie, ez = ez, hy = hy},
Do[ez[[2 ;; ie]] += (hy[[2 ;; ie]] - hy[[1 ;; ie - 1]]);
ez[[1]] = Sin[n/10.];
hy[[1 ;; ie]] += (ez[[2 ;; ie + 1]] - ez[[1 ;; ie]]), {n,
steps}]; ez],
CompilationOptions -> {"InlineExternalDefinitions" -> True},
"CompilationTarget" -> "C", "RuntimeOptions" -> "Speed"];


I'll beef up the example a factor of 10.


result = fdtd1d[100000]; // AbsoluteTiming

(* Out[172]= {0.555320, Null} *)

Now we remove the spans and replace with inner loops. No vectorization, that is.


fdtd1d2 = Compile[{{steps}}, Module[{ie = ie, ez = ez, hy = hy},
Do[
Do[ez[[j]] += (hy[[j]] - hy[[j - 1]]), {j, 2, ie}];

Do[ez[[1]] = Sin[n/10.];
hy[[j - 1]] += (ez[[j]] - ez[[j - 1]]), {j, 2, ie + 1}], {n,
steps}]; ez],
CompilationOptions -> {"InlineExternalDefinitions" -> True},
"CompilationTarget" -> "C", "RuntimeOptions" -> "Speed"];

result2 = fdtd1d2[100000]; // AbsoluteTiming
result2 == result

(* Out[174]= {0.179435, Null}


Out[175]= True *)

So that's a factor of 3. I guess I need to report this as a suggestion to revisit vector operations in Compile.


--- edit ---


It is of course slightly faster to take the assignment of ez[[1]] =... out of the second inner loop (sound of hand smacking forehead). Also it turns out to be slightly faster to reduce the index arithmetic in the second loop. I also took the assignment of the constant, ie, out of the Module variables and made it really constant using With; this does not seem to affect timing one way or the other.


fdtd1d3 = With[{ie = ie}, Compile[{{steps, _Integer}},
Module[
{ez = ez, hy = hy},
Do[

ez[[1]] = Sin[n/10.];
Do[ez[[j]] += (hy[[j]] - hy[[j - 1]]), {j, 2, ie}];
Do[
hy[[j]] += (ez[[j + 1]] - ez[[j]]), {j, 1, ie}],
{n, steps}]; ez],
CompilationOptions -> {"InlineExternalDefinitions" -> True},
"CompilationTarget" -> "C", "RuntimeOptions" -> "Speed"]];

result3 = fdtd1d3[100000]; // AbsoluteTiming
result3 === result2


(* Out[107]= {0.135636, Null}

Out[108]= True *)

So that's a modest improvement.


--- end edit ---


--- edit #2 ---


Per suggestion by @s0rce, we'll use Compile`GetElement instead of Part.


fdtd1d4 = Compile[{{steps, _Integer}},

Module[
{ie = ie, ez = ez, hy = hy},
Do[
ez[[1]] = Sin[n/10.];
Do[ez[[j]] += (Compile`GetElement[hy, j] -
Compile`GetElement[hy, j - 1]), {j, 2, ie}];
Do[
hy[[j]] += (Compile`GetElement[ez, j + 1] -
Compile`GetElement[ez, j]), {j, 1, ie}],
{n, steps}]; ez],

CompilationOptions -> {"InlineExternalDefinitions" -> True},
"CompilationTarget" -> "C", "RuntimeOptions" -> "Speed"];

result4 = fdtd1d4[100000]; // AbsoluteTiming
result4 === result2

(* Out[122]= {0.076532, Null}

Out[123]= True *)


Now that's progress.


--- end edit #2 ---


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...