Skip to main content

functions - Shorter syntax for Fold and FoldList?


I find it tedious to write out the following:


a = {1, 2, 3, 4};


Fold[f, First @ a, Rest @ a]


f[f[f[1, 2], 3], 4]

It becomes additionally cumbersome when working with held expressions, e.g.:


b = Hold[1 + 1, 2 + 2, 3 + 3, 4 + 4];

SetAttributes[g, HoldAll];


b /. _[x_, __] :> Fold[g, Unevaluated[x], Rest@b]


g[g[g[1 + 1, 2 + 2], 3 + 3], 4 + 4]

Likewise for FoldList. Is there a shorter syntax to achieve this?



Answer



Good News Everyone!


Two-parameter syntax for Fold and FoldList has been (silently) implemented!


Taliesin Beynon informs me that this was implemented in 2011, so check your older versions as well.



As Naitree notes this is now documented in 10.0.2:


enter image description here enter image description here


Fold[f, a]

FoldList[f, a]


f[f[f[1, 2], 3], 4]

{1, f[1, 2], f[f[1, 2], 3], f[f[f[1, 2], 3], 4]}


And the held expression example:


Fold[g, b]


g[g[g[1 + 1, 2 + 2], 3 + 3], 4 + 4]

For full integration (versions 9.0 through 10.0.1) we merely need to update SyntaxInformation to match the implementation:


Unprotect[Fold, FoldList]


SyntaxInformation[Fold] = {"ArgumentsPattern" -> {_, _, _.}};
SyntaxInformation[FoldList] = {"ArgumentsPattern" -> {_, _., {__}}};

Protect[Fold, FoldList]

(We could also update usage Messages if desired, but not doing so serves as a reminder that the function is undocumented in these versions.)


For older versions you may add the functionality itself with:


Unprotect[Fold, FoldList]

Fold[f_, h_[a_, b__]] := Fold[f, Unevaluated @ a, h @ b]

FoldList[f_, h_[a_, b__]] := FoldList[f, Unevaluated @ a, h @ b]

Protect[Fold, FoldList]

Special thanks to those who made this happen!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...