Skip to main content

list manipulation - Generate PrimePower counting function


Is there a way to generate a counting function for prime powers - i.e. to create a similar function to PrimePi, but including prime powers. The following will, of course, generate a list of these numbers:


Select[ Range[1000000], PrimePowerQ]


Answer



A naive approach would be this:


primePower[n_] := Count[ Range @ n, _?PrimePowerQ]

This function works well however it might be very inefficient for large n. It takes a bit to evaluate e.g.


primePower[10^6]


78734


which is only a little bigger than


PrimePi[10^6]


78498

The latter is much more efficient since it uses advanced algorithms for counting primes which exploit sparse caching and sieving techniques ( in documentation pages see Some Notes on Internal Implementation, then J. C. Lagarias, V. S. Miller and A. M. Odlyzko "Computing π(x): the Meissel-Lehmer method," Math. Comp., 44 (1985) 537-560, another interesting resources The Prime Pages: Prime Number Research, Records and Results).


Therefore we proceed along a different way making use of PrimePi to count prime powers, namely we need to sum Log[ Prime[k], n] (it measure how many times appears given prime with different powers up to n, e.g. for k == 3 there are 5, 25, 125, 625, ..., 5^Floor[ Log[ Prime[3], n]]) over every prime up to PrimePi[ Sqrt[n] // Floor] :


primePowerPi[n_] := PrimePi[n] + Sum[   Floor @ Log[ Prime[k], n] - 1, 
{ k, PrimePi[ Sqrt[n] // Floor]}]


This might be done as well with:


Floor @ Log[ Prime[ Range[ PrimePi[ Sqrt[n] // Floor]]], n]

e.g.


Total[ Floor @ Log[ Prime[ Range[ PrimePi[ Sqrt[10^5] // Floor]]], 10^5] - 1] == 
primePowerPi[10^5] - PrimePi[10^5]

primePowerPi[10^5] - PrimePi[10^5]



True

108

Now we can find immediately:


primePowerPi /@ { 10^6, 10^7}


{78734, 665134}


while


PrimePi[10^7]


664579

For some limitations of Prime and PrimePi domains this reference would be helpful What is so special about Prime?.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...