Skip to main content

plotting - Contour plot in a specific form


I want to plot a contour plot in Mathematica. In normal and common case the plot will be shown in a square form but I want to have a plot in a triangle and a piece of circle form (disk-segment). How can I figure it out?


Suppose I have the following contour plot:


ClearAll["Global`*"]
ContourPlot[Cos[x] + Cos[y], {x, 0, 4 Pi}, {y, 0, 4 Pi}, PlotLegends -> Automatic]

and I want to have the plot like the following figure.enter image description here


Thank you.



Answer




You can use ContourPlot for Textureing a ParametricPlot showing the desired polar region to get something close to the desired picture:


cp1 = ContourPlot[Cos[x] Cos[y], {x, -Pi/2, Pi/2}, {y, -Pi/2, Pi/2}, 
PlotRangePadding -> 0, Frame -> False, ColorFunction -> "Rainbow",
PerformanceGoal -> "Quality", PlotPoints -> 100,
MaxRecursion -> 5, ContourStyle -> Thick, ImageSize -> 300];
cp2 = ContourPlot[Cos[x] + Cos[y], {x, -Pi, Pi}, {y, -Pi, Pi},
PlotRangePadding -> 0, Frame -> False, ColorFunction -> "Rainbow",
PerformanceGoal -> "Quality", PlotPoints -> 100,
MaxRecursion -> 5, ContourStyle -> Thick, ImageSize -> 300];
{pp1, pp2} = ParametricPlot[{v Cos[u], v Sin[u]}, {u, 0, Pi/4}, {v, .1, 1},

PlotStyle -> Texture[#], Mesh -> None, PlotRange -> {0, 1},
ImageSize -> 300, Frame -> False, Axes -> False] /. Opacity[_] :> Opacity[1] & /@
{cp1, cp2};

Grid[{{"", Style[ContourPlot,20, "Panel", Bold], Style[ParametricPlot,20, "Panel", Bold]},
{Rotate[Style[TraditionalForm[Cos[x] Cos[y]], 20, "Panel", Bold], Pi/2], cp1, pp1},
{Rotate[Style[TraditionalForm[Cos[x] + Cos[y]], 20, "Panel", Bold], Pi/2], cp2, pp2}},
Dividers -> All]

enter image description here



Use {u, -Pi, Pi}, and {v, 0, 1} in ParametricPlot above to get


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...