Skip to main content

equation solving - Using FindRoot with an interpolating function


This question bears resemblance to a few other questions on mathematica.SE about finding points of intersection of crossing curves. I know that the guidebook of numerics has an entry about the whole curve crossing thingy (can't seem to find the link right now).


However, my question is a little different. Yes, crossing curves are involved.


I have two curves that cross each other at two points:


curve1 = 3 x^2 + 3 x;
curve2 = 1.8 x ^2 + 2;
Plot[
{curve1, curve2},
{x, -5, 5},
PlotRange -> All

]

Curves crossing


With Roots[...] I can find the points at which these curves cross each other, so:


Roots[curve1 == curve2, x]


x==-3.04699||x==0.546988

So this is nice and happy! Now, if I were to get data out of the individual plots, interpolate this data and fold it into and InterpolatingFunction, I am unable to use FindRoot[...] to do the same as Root[...]



pic1 = Plot[curve1, {x, -5, 5}];
Data1 = Cases[Normal[pic1], Line[Data1_] :> Data1, Infinity];
intplC1 = Data1 // Flatten // Interpolation
pic1 = Plot[curve2, {x, -5, 5}];
Data2 = Cases[Normal[pic1], Line[Data2_] :> Data2, Infinity];
intplC2 = Data2 // Flatten // Interpolation


FindRoot[intplC1 == intplC2, {x, 0.2}]



FindRoot::nlnum: The function value {InterpolatingFunction[{{1.,528.}},{4,7,0,{528},{4},0,0,0,0,Automatic},{{<<1>>}},{Developer`PackedArrayForm,{<<1>>},{-5.,60.,-4.99693,59.9172,<<43>>,3.80528,-1.7292,3.78277,<<478>>}},{Automatic}]-<<1>>} is not a list of numbers with dimensions {1} at {x} = {0.2}. >>



So my question(s) are:




  1. I am thinking I am not using Cases[...] correctly here despite the fact that Data1//ListLinePlot and Data2//ListLinePlot seem to plot fine enough.




  2. How can I use FindRoot[...] on my InterpolatingFunctions to find the multiple roots in this case?





  3. For this situation, am I right to assume that Roots[...] is well and sufficient?





Answer



Try


pic1 = Plot[curve1, {x, -5, 5}];
Data1 = Cases[Normal[pic1], Line[Data1_] :> Data1, Infinity];
intplC1 = Flatten[Data1, 1] // Interpolation

pic1 = Plot[curve2, {x, -5, 5}];
Data2 = Cases[Normal[pic1], Line[Data2_] :> Data2, Infinity];
intplC2 = Flatten[Data2, 1] // Interpolation

FindRoot[intplC1[x] == intplC2[x], {x, 0.2}]

Flatten in your original code, completely flattens the coordinates. It becomes a list


{ x1, y1, x2, y2, ... }

Further, the argument x must be supplied to the interpolating function.





Addendum


If you have interpolation from data, then the following could be used to find most intersections.


SeedRandom[2];
xBase = Sort[RandomReal[{0, 10}, 10]];
data1 = Table[{xBase[[i]], RandomReal[{0, 1}]}, {i, 10}];
intplC1 = data1 // Interpolation;
data2 = Table[{xBase[[i]], RandomReal[{0, 1}]}, {i, 10}];
intplC2 = data2 // Interpolation;


x0 = Pick[MovingAverage[Data1[[All, 1]], 2],
Negative /@ Times @@@ Partition[
Subtract @@@ Transpose@{data1[[All, 2]], data2[[All, 2]]}, 2, 1]]

FindRoot[intplC1[x] == intplC2[x], {x, x0}]

(* {1.37302, 2.29548, 5.5938, 5.92218, 7.6267} *)

(* {x -> {1.13464, 2.72027, 5.38934, 5.9991, 7.65357}} *)


Plot[{intplC1[x], intplC2[x]}, Evaluate@{x, Sequence @@ intplC1[[1, 1]]}]

Plot of interpolating functions


Notes:


1) You have to pass multiple initial points inside its own list (x0 = {1.13464, ...}).


2) Interpolations can have multiple intersections between interpolated points, and the method above ignores that possibility. In that case, starting points could be added manually.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...