Skip to main content

graphics - How can I get the color of overlapping disks to be equal in any order?


When Graphics is used, necessarily the objects come in order. This affects which ones obscure others. When Opacity is not 1, it also affects the color. I would like the color of overlaps to depend only on the colors of the objects and their opacities and not on the order. Can this be done? For example, this simple code illustrates the problem:



 Graphics[{Opacity[.5], 
Inner[{#1, #2} &, {Red, Blue, Red}, {Disk[{0, 0}, 1],
Disk[{1, 0}, 1], Disk[{2, 0}, 1]}, List]}]

The result is this:


Red Disk, Blue Disk, Red Disk with overlaps


Further info in response to the wonderful answers received so far: I will use this in Manipulate with the disks (or perhaps rectangles) moving around at random. There will also be many of them, such as 1000. So time is important and thus using all permutations is out of consideration (for this particular application).


I have now tested the suggestions. Unfortunately, rasterizing and computing with that takes much too long. If I sort, then that will not give what I want either. So no answer seems to work, sadly.


In response to @Mr.Wizard, here is my example. It is not minimal, but you will want to experiment with various things, I think. In the end, it is not too bad; I used Opacity[0.1] to handle my aesthetic complaint.


    Manipulate[

If[startover == "start over",
current = PadRight[{}, nmparticles, {{-torus/2, 0}, {torus/2, 0}}];
startover = False];
While[run, Pause[1/rate];
If[Length[current] == nmparticles,
current =
Clip[current +
RandomVariate[
NormalDistribution[0, 1], {nmparticles, 2}], {-torus, torus}],
current =

PadRight[current, nmparticles, {{-torus/2, 0}, {torus/2, 0}}]]];
Dynamic@Show[
Graphics[{Opacity[.1],
Transpose[{Table[If[OddQ[i], Red, Blue], {i, Length[current]}],
Disk[#, 1] & /@ current}]},
PlotRange -> {{-torus, torus}, {-torus, torus}},
ImageSize -> {475, 475}]],
Style[" Diffusion",
Large], Delimiter, {{run, False, "run"}, {True,
False}}, {{nmparticles, 2, "number of particles"}, 1, 5000, 1,

Appearance -> "Labeled"},
{{rate, 10, "rate"}, 3, 1000, 1,
Appearance -> "Labeled"}, {{torus, 20, "half-size of box"}, 3, 100,
1, Appearance -> "Labeled"}, {{startover, False,
""}, {"start over"}, ControlType -> Setter, Background -> LightRed},
ControlPlacement -> Right,
Initialization :> (current = {{-torus/2, 0}, {torus/2, 0}})]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...