Skip to main content

numerical integration - Why does NDSolve need to solve for the derivatives if the equations are already explicitly solved?


Consider the following test case:


mMax = 50;
Ffuncs[r_] = Table[F[n, m][r], {n, mMax}, {m, mMax}];
NDSolve[Flatten@{
Thread[Flatten[D[Ffuncs[r], r]] == Flatten[Ffuncs[r].Ffuncs[r]]],
Thread[Flatten@Ffuncs[0] == Table[0, {mMax*mMax}]]

}, Flatten@Ffuncs[r], {r, 0, 2}];

When I set mMax to 49 or less, it works without any problems. But with 50 or higher, I get



NDSolve::ntdv: Cannot solve to find an explicit formula for the derivatives. Consider using the option Method->{"EquationSimplification"->"Residual"}.



That was Mathematica 11. Mathematica 9 gives a better message and a better suggestion, which actually works, unlike the suggestion above, which takes forever to complete the solution and eventually crashes the kernel. Here's Mathematica 9's message:



NDSolve::ndsdtc: The time constraint of 1.` seconds was exceeded trying to solve for derivatives, so the system will be treated as a system of differential-algebraic equations. You can use Method->{"EquationSimplification"->"Solve"} to have the system solved as ordinary differential equations. >>




But anyway, I've already gave NDSolve a system of equations explicitly solved for derivatives! Why does it still need to solve for derivatives?



Answer



In V10 and higher, you can increase the time limit on Solve with the system option "NDSolveOptions" -> "DefaultSolveTimeConstraint" -> time:


With[{opts = SystemOptions[]},
Internal`WithLocalSettings[
SetSystemOptions["NDSolveOptions" -> "DefaultSolveTimeConstraint" -> 10.`],
sol = NDSolve[
Flatten@{Thread[
Flatten[D[Ffuncs[r], r]] == Flatten[Ffuncs[r].Ffuncs[r]]],
Thread[Flatten@Ffuncs[0] == Table[0, {mMax*mMax}]]},

Flatten@Ffuncs[r], {r, 0, 2}];,
SetSystemOptions[opts]
]]
(* Spurious message: SystemOptions::noset: ..SystemOption PreemptiveCheckUseThreads.. *)

sol[[1, 1]]
(* F[1, 1][r] -> InterpolatingFunction[{{0., 2.}}, <>][r] *)

I'm not sure what takes NDSolve[] so long, but it's much faster than Solve[]:


Solve[Thread[Flatten[D[Ffuncs[r], r]] == Flatten[Ffuncs[r].Ffuncs[r]]], 

Flatten[D[Ffuncs[r], r]]]; // AbsoluteTiming
(* {51.1422, Null} *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...