Skip to main content

plotting - Extrude 2D cross-section to 3D shape with shrinkfactor


I would like to create a 3D shape from extrusion and scaling of a 2D contour. The 2D contour that I have looks like this:


enter image description here


and it consists of a bunch of points (here plotted with ListPlot with Joined->True).


I have looked at a bunch of questions and answers here on Mathematica.SE, notably this one and this one, but I don't see how to apply those to my problem in any straightforward manner.


For the sake of a MWE I will switch to a circle from this point on:



xdata = Table[x, {x, -1, 1, 0.05}];
ydata = Table[Sqrt[1 - x^2], {x, -1, 1, 0.05}];
circData = {Transpose[{xdata, ydata}], Transpose[{xdata, -ydata}]};
ListPlot[circData, Joined -> True, AspectRatio -> Automatic]

The extruded shape that I would like to make then looks like this:


enter image description here


It is a shape consisting of slices of the contour with constant radius $r_0$ over some range let's say $-1 < z < 1$ and decrease in radius with $z$ at the tips according to $r(z)=r_0\sqrt{1-(z-1)^2}$ and $r(z)=r_0\sqrt{1-(z+1)^2}$ (depending on which tip).


My question is: how can I do this extrusion for the set of listdata that I have?


Just to be clear, to create the 3D shape for the circle I cheated and used the formula for a circle and a sphere like this:



p = Plot3D[{1 + Sqrt[1 - y^2 - x^2 ], -1 - 
Sqrt[1 - y^2 - x^2 ]}, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2},
PlotStyle -> {Orange}, Lighting -> Automatic, Mesh -> Automatic,
BoxRatios -> Automatic, Boxed -> False, Axes -> None];
q = RegionPlot3D[
Sqrt[x^2 + y^2] < 1, {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, {z, -1, 1},
PlotStyle -> {Orange}, Lighting -> Automatic, Mesh -> Automatic,
BoxRatios -> Automatic, Boxed -> False, Axes -> None];
Show[p, q]


Is there a way to achieve the same with the data from a list?




[Adaptation to thicknessFunc by @Halirutan and accompanying re-scaling]


To make the thicknessFunc more generic I adapted it to:


thicknessFunc[z_, body_, 
b_] := (HeavisideTheta[z] - HeavisideTheta[z - b])*
Sqrt[b^2 - (z - b)^2] +
b (HeavisideTheta[z - b] -
HeavisideTheta[z - body - b]) + (HeavisideTheta[z - body - b] -
HeavisideTheta[z - body - 2 b])*Sqrt[b^2 - (z - body - b)^2]


such that you can set the radius of the circular parts by setting $b$. A consequence of this is that you have to rescale the thicknessFunc in append with $1/b$ like


Append[1/b thicknessFunc[u,2]*fdata[t], u]

I don't fully understand why, but I guess it has to do with the fact that fdata is multiplied by thicknessFunc and therefore needs the straight ends of thicknessFunc to be at 1



Answer



This is in theory pretty simple. Think of it as two separated steps. First, you need function that models your extrusion-thickness, which has in the middle always the same value and at both ends it should round up like a circle. You can do this with Piecewise or, as I show here, with a combination of Heaviside functions:


thicknessFunc[z_, 
body_] := (HeavisideTheta[z] - HeavisideTheta[z - 1])*
Sqrt[1 - (1 - z)^2] + (HeavisideTheta[z - 1] -

HeavisideTheta[z - body - 1]) + (HeavisideTheta[z - body - 1] -
HeavisideTheta[z - body - 2])*Sqrt[1 - (z - body - 1)^2]

the parameter body is the size of the constant middle part. Here with the size of 2 ranging from 1 to 3:


Plot[thicknessFunc[u, 2], {u, 0, 4}]

Mathematica graphics


The other part is that you can interpolate your points, so that you get a function fdata[t_] which gets a single parameter t and runs along your points for t ranging from 0 to 1 (you can actually use whatever you like here):


data = Table[(1/4 Sin[5 phi]^2 + 1) {Cos[phi], Sin[phi]}, {phi, 0, 2 Pi, Pi/50}];
With[

{ip = ListInterpolation[#, {{0, 1}}, PeriodicInterpolation -> True] & /@ Transpose[data]},
fdata[t_] := Through[ip[t]]
]

ParametricPlot[fdata[t], {t, 0, 1}]

Mathematica graphics


Note that fdata[t] always returns points {x,y}. Now we turn this into a 3d function by combining the thicknessFunc with fdata. Our final function f3d will have two parameters: t which walks around the contour if increase it and u which defines our height and uses the thicknessFunc to scale the contour:


f3d[t_, u_] := Append[thicknessFunc[u,2]*fdata[t], u]


Note that only the {x,y} points of the contour are scaled and to make this work, your contour points need to lie around the zero point {0,0} as in your example. That's it, the rest is only plotting


ParametricPlot3D[f3d[t, u], {t, 0, 1}, {u, 0, 4}, Exclusions -> None, 
PlotPoints -> 30, MaxRecursion -> 3,
PlotStyle -> {Orange, Specularity[White, 10]}, Axes -> None,
Mesh -> None]

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...