Skip to main content

How do I find the Euclidean distance between one point and all the points in a list?


I want to find the Euclidean distance between one point (x1) and a list of points (y1), which contains a lot of coordinates


x1 = killer[[2]]


{6.05102, 5.87667}




y1 = victim[[2 ;;]]


{{1.40687, 4.92494}, {0.419206, 1.70406}, {6.29657,0.577941}, {4.12022, 4.94952},
{2.04784, 5.94545}, {1.29192,1.43152}, {3.26737, 1.90134}, {4.27274, 0.528028},
{2.79659,1.37788}, {5.43955, 1.81355}}



Is it possible for me to find the EuclideanDistance between x1 and y1, where it will show all results between x1 and each elements in y1.



Answer




Here is what you want to do. Let the first point's coordinate be stored as a list of list as follows:


x1 = {{6.05102, 5.87667}}    

and the second set of coordinates


y1 = {{1.40687, 4.92494}, {0.419206, 1.70406}, {6.29657,0.577941}, {4.12022, 4.94952},
{2.04784, 5.94545}, {1.29192,1.43152}, {3.26737, 1.90134}, {4.27274, 0.528028},
{2.79659,1.37788}, {5.43955, 1.81355}}

Now to compute the Euclidean distances between x1 and every element in y1 use Outer, your best friend from now on.


Outer[EuclideanDistance, x1, y1, 1]//Flatten


This then gives you


{4.74067, 7.00914, 5.30442, 2.14187, 4.00377, 6.51217, 4.85304, 5.63651, 5.55252, 4.10887}. 

Hope this helps. In fact, you can loop this through various x1's as follows.


Table[Outer[EuclideanDistance, {killer[[k]]}, y1, 1], {k, 1, n}]

Where n is the Length of the killer list. This is fast and compact code.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...