Skip to main content

plotting - Aborts and beeps without error warning


I have a piece of code that generates a figure, performing a calculation to generate each pixel. At a certain resolution it runs fine, but after a high enough resolution it fails. Mathematica beeps (sounds more line a 'dong') and just stops after a few seconds with no error warnings. How can I run some diagnostics on my code to try and figure out the problem?


I assume it's a memory problem, but when I use the MaxMemoryUsed[] command it was only ~20Mb which doesn't seem that much.


The code is shown below. I adjust the parameter 'res'. Up to res=12 it runs fine but thereafter it fails.


Clear["Global`*"];
startTime = AbsoluteTime[];

f[{rx_, ry_}] :=
Module[{e1, e2, e3, d1, d2, d3, a, b, c, sol1, sol2, data, round,
rArray},
{e1, e2, e3} = # & /@ {{0, -1}, {Sqrt[3]/2, 1/2}, {-Sqrt[3]/2, 1/2}};
If[
Norm[{rx, ry} - e1] <= 1/3 || Norm[{rx, ry} - e2] <= 1/3 ||
Norm[{rx, ry} - e3] <= 1/3,
Null,
{d1, d2, d3} = # - {rx, ry} & /@ {e1, e2, e3};
{a, b, c} = Norm[#]^-3 & /@ {d1, d2, d3};

round = 0.000001;
sol1 =
If[0 <= ((b + c)^2 - a^2)/(4 b c) <= 1, 0,
Re[{x, y} /. Solve[
Round[a b (d2 - d1), round] Sin[{x, y}.(d1 - d2)]
+ Round[b c (d3 - d2), round] Sin[{x, y}.(d2 - d3)]
+ Round[a c (d3 - d1), round] Sin[{x, y}.(d1 - d3)]
== 0, {x, y}]]];
sol2 =
Sqrt[a^2 + b^2 + c^2 + 2 a b Cos[#.(d1 - d2)] +

2 b c Cos[#.(d2 - d3)] + 2 a c Cos[#.(d1 - d3)]] & /@ sol1;
Min[sol2]
]
]
res = 20;
rArray = Table[{rx, ry}, {rx, -Sqrt[3]/2, Sqrt[3]/2,
Sqrt[3]/res}, {ry, 3/4, -3/4, -3/(2 res)}];
diagram = Map[f, rArray, {2}];
ArrayPlot[diagram, ColorFunction -> "Rainbow",
ColorRules -> {0 -> White, Null -> Gray}]

endTime = AbsoluteTime[] - startTime

Answer



Get this code working


You can get the code running under Mma v9, by adding options to Solve:
Adding


VerifySolutions -> False

should work.
And also


VerifySolutions -> True, WorkingPrecision -> MachinePrecision


works on my PC, if res isn't too big.
For bigger res (tested for 50)


VerifySolutions -> False, WorkingPrecision -> MachinePrecision

will make the code working.




Parallelization


You didn't ask for this, but if you execute


ParallelEvaluate[Off[Solve::ifun]]


before the posted code, the Solve::ifun messages will be switched off.
And replacing Map with ParallelMap:


diagram=ParallelMap[f,rArray,{2}];

will speed up the code significantly, if you have more than one core.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...