Skip to main content

list manipulation - Exporting a table to Excel in CSV format


I am trying to create a table which when exported in a .csv format and opened in MS.Excel has the following form;




i1    j1    f[i1,j1]
i1 j2 f[i1,j2]
i1 j3 f[i1,j3]
i2 j1 f[i2,j1]
i2 j2 f[i2,j2]
i2 j3 f[i2,j3]
i3 j1 f[i3,j1]
i3 j2 f[i3,j2]
i3 j3 f[i3,j3]
...


I have tried;


myTable = Table[{i, j, f[i, j]}, {i, 1, 3}, {j, 1, 3}]
Export["out.csv", myTable]

but it comes out as;



{{{1, 1, f[1, 1]}, {1, 2, f[1, 2]}, {1, 3, f[1, 3]}}, 
{{2, 1, f[2, 1]}, {2, 2, f[2, 2]}, {2, 3, f[2, 3]}},
{{3, 1, f[3, 1]}, {3, 2, f[3, 2]}, {3, 3, f[3, 3]}}}


Which in MS.Excel looks like;



{i1    j1    f[i1,j1]}    {i1    j2    f[i1,j2]}    {i1    j3    f[i1,j3]}
{i2 j1 f[i2,j1]} {i2 j2 f[i2,j2]} {i2 j3 f[i2,j3]}
{i3 j1 f[i3,j1]} {i3 j2 f[i3,j2]} {i3 j3 f[i3,j3]}

The 3 sets of nested brackets means it doesn't come out how I wanted it.


I am sure this is a really simple/dumb question but I am a bit lost here.



Answer




I am not sure if you want numbers or functions. Since you are using comma separated variables I have converted your f[i,j] to a string to avoid the comma in the function creating an extra column.


myTable = Table[{i, j, ToString[f[i, j]]}, {i, 1, 3}, {j, 1, 3}]

If you look at the output there is a level of bracketing associated with each table index. You don't want this so we can remove it with flatten


flatTable = Flatten[myTable, 1]

Now use TableForm to check the configuration


TableForm[flatTable]

The output is



Mathematica graphics


Now you can export


Export["out.csv", flatTable]    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...