Skip to main content

plotting - ScalingFunctions - reversing a logarithmic axes


I have been playing with ScalingFunctions in Mathematica 11.0. I wanted to produce a logarithmic scaled plot with the direction reversed. I have had success with accomplishing my goals, but I have no understanding of why it works.


I am able to reverse the axis and/or create a logarithmic axes with out a problem.


Plot[x, {x, 1, 3}, 
PlotRange -> {{1, 3}, {1, 3}},
ScalingFunctions -> "Reverse"
]

Mathematica graphics


Plot[x, {x, 1, 3}, 

PlotRange -> {{1, 3}, {1, 3}},
ScalingFunctions -> "Log"
]

Mathematica graphics


In the documentation it talks about using


Mathematica graphics


as a scaling function and gives an example of


{-Log[#] &, Exp[-#] &}


I decided to try it.


Plot[x, {x, 1, 3}, 
PlotRange -> {{1, 3}, {1, 3}},
ScalingFunctions -> {None, {-Log[#] &, Exp[-#] &}}
]

Mathematica graphics


It produced what I wanted and in one sense that makes this a success. However, I am completely confused by what is going on.


The question is why does supplying ScalingFunctions with the negative of a the log and its inverse produce a logarithmic scaled plot with the direction reversed?



Answer




I've been curious about what the two different functions do in ScalingFunctions. I think we can get a clue by these two plots


Plot[x, {x, 1, 3}, PlotRange -> {{1, 3}, {1, 3}}, 
ScalingFunctions -> {None, #}] & /@ {{# &,
Exp[-#] &}, {-Log[#] &, # &}}

Mathematica graphics


So the first function is applied to the points, and the second function somehow used to construct the tick marks.


Let's look at your example,


{regularPlot = Plot[x, {x, 1, 3}, PlotRange -> {{1, 3}, {1, 3}}],
reverseLogPlot =

Plot[x, {x, 1, 3}, PlotRange -> {{1, 3}, {1, 3}},
ScalingFunctions -> {None, {-Log[#] &, Exp[-#] &}}]}

We can extract the plotted points from the first, apply -Log[#]& to them, and compare that to the points from the scaled plot,


list = Cases[regularPlot, Line[x__] :> x, Infinity] // 
First; reverseLogList =
reverseLogPlot // Cases[#, Line[x__] :> x, Infinity] & // First;
ListPlot /@ {reverseLogList, {#1, -Log[#2]} & @@@ list}

Mathematica graphics



and this confirms our suspicions about the first function.


I'm not sure exactly how the second function is applied to the tick marks though. This isn't quite right:


ListLinePlot[{#1, -Log[#2]} & @@@ list,
Ticks -> {Automatic, {#, NumberForm[Exp[-#], 2]} & /@
Range[-1, 0, .1]}]

Mathematica graphics


Edit


Actually, I have no idea how these functions seem to work, why do these simple examples do nothing?


Plot[x, {x, -1, 3}, PlotRange -> {{1, 3}, {1, 3}}, 

ScalingFunctions -> {None, {# + 2 &, # - 2 &}}]
Plot[x, {x, -1, 3}, PlotRange -> {{1, 3}, {1, 3}},
ScalingFunctions -> {None, {2 # &, #/2 &}}]

Mathematica graphics


And why does removing the PlotRange option make the first one almost work, but the second one fails mysteriously?


Plot[x, {x, -1, 3}, ScalingFunctions -> {None, {# + 2 &, # - 2 &}}]
Plot[x, {x, -1, 3}, ScalingFunctions -> {None, {2 # &, #/2 &}}]

Mathematica graphics



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...