Skip to main content

sorting - How to pass composite function list to SortBy?


In order to sort alphanumeric-as-string data of the form {"T3", "T14", "T1", "E2"}, so that "T14" comes after "T3", SortBy requires the tiebreaker function list:



{StringTake[#, 1] &, ToExpression@StringDrop[#, 1] &}

Which works as intended when this expression is inserted literally in SortBy. However, defining a utility function


mySort[x_String]:={StringTake[x, 1] , ToExpression@StringDrop[x, 1]}


doesn't work since the output is a list of expressions rather than a list of functions.


The alternative - to define a function via


mySort := {StringTake[#, 1] &, ToExpression@StringDrop[#, 1] &}

only works when the list to be sorted is 1-dimensional (as above) but not with lists of the form data2={"T3"->a, "T14"->b, "T1"->c, "E2"->d} where it is necessary to use SortBy[data2,mySort[#[[1]]]&].


Any alternatives that will work for general expressions?




Answer



I think this question admits an elegant solution. Here is my attempt: define a special wrapper:


ClearAll[sortFun];
sortFun /: SortBy[expr_, sortFun[funs_List, partFun_]] :=
SortBy[expr, Map[Composition[#, partFun] &, funs]];

Now,


mySort := {StringTake[#, 1] &, ToExpression@StringDrop[#, 1] &}

and



SortBy[{"T3","T14","T1","E2"}, sortFun[mySort, Identity]]

(* {E2,T1,T3,T14} *)

while


SortBy[{"T3"->a,"T14"->b,"T1"->c,"E2"->d}, sortFun[mySort, First]]

(* {E2->d,T1->c,T3->a,T14->b} *)

EDIT



Perhaps more elegantly


ClearAll[sortFun];
sortFun /: SortBy[expr_, sortFun[funs_List, partFun_]] :=
SortBy[expr, Thread[Composition[funs, partFun]]];

and just for fun, another version:


ClearAll[sortFun];
sortFun /: call : SortBy[expr_, sortFun[funs_List, partFun_]] :=
Block[{sortFun = Thread[Composition[##]] &}, call];

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...