Skip to main content

equation solving - Solve returns a wrong answer


I'm afraid the following is rather localized questions, but I don't know how to simplify and generalize it. I have the following two points (in the real plane):


p = {Sqrt[b y1^2 + 4 ϵ], y1}
q = {(3 b y1^2 + 12 ϵ + Sqrt[5] y1 Sqrt[b (b y1^2 + 4 ϵ)])/(2 Sqrt[b y1^2 + 4 ϵ]),
(3 b y1 + Sqrt[5] Sqrt[b (b y1^2 + 4 ϵ)])/(2 b)}

In particular, I have also the following assumptions:



$Assumptions = b > 0 && y1 ∈ Reals && ϵ > 0;

Then I try to solve the following:


Solve[p[[2]] == -q[[2]] && p[[1]] == q[[1]], y1]

and obtain the answer


{{y1 -> -(Sqrt[ϵ]/Sqrt[b])}, {y1 -> Sqrt[ϵ]/Sqrt[b]}}

However, one can easily test that the second answer is wrong:


In: {p, q} /. % // Simplify


returns: $\left\{\left\{\left\{\sqrt{5} \sqrt{\epsilon },-\sqrt{\frac{\epsilon }{b}}\right\},\left\{\sqrt{5} \sqrt{\epsilon },\sqrt{\frac{\epsilon }{b}}\right\}\right\},\left\{\left\{\sqrt{5} \sqrt{\epsilon },\sqrt{\frac{\epsilon }{b}}\right\},\left\{2 \sqrt{5} \sqrt{\epsilon },\frac{4 \epsilon }{\sqrt{b \epsilon }}\right\}\right\}\right\}$


What am I missing?



Answer



You can understand what is happening by comparing:


s = Solve[p[[2]] == -q[[2]] && p[[1]] == q[[1]], y1]
(*
{{y1 -> -(Sqrt[ϵ]/Sqrt[b])}, {y1 -> Sqrt[ϵ]/Sqrt[b]}}
*)


with:


s = Solve[p[[2]] == -q[[2]] && p[[1]] == q[[1]], y1, Reals]
(*
{{y1 -> ConditionalExpression[-Sqrt[(ϵ/b)], ϵ > 0 && b > 0]}}
*)

or:


s = Solve[p[[2]] == -q[[2]] && p[[1]] == q[[1]], y1, MaxExtraConditions -> All]



Solve::useq: The answer found by Solve contains equational condition(s) {0==Sqrt[5] Sqrt[b] Sqrt[ϵ]-Sqrt[5] Sqrt[b ϵ],0==-Sqrt[5] Sqrt[b] Sqrt[ϵ]-Sqrt[5] Sqrt[b ϵ]}. A likely reason for this is that the solution set depends on branch cuts of Mathematica functions. >>



{{y1 -> ConditionalExpression[-(Sqrt[ϵ]/Sqrt[b]), b != 0 && -Sqrt[5] Sqrt[b] Sqrt[ϵ] + Sqrt[5] Sqrt[b ϵ] == 0 && ϵ != 0]}, 
{y1 -> ConditionalExpression[Sqrt[ϵ]/Sqrt[b], b != 0 && Sqrt[5] Sqrt[b] Sqrt[ϵ] + Sqrt[5] Sqrt[b ϵ] == 0 && ϵ != 0]}}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...