Skip to main content

front end - How can I overload autocompletion to work with full contexts?


I would like for the autocomplete feature to search through contexts, for example if I have a symbol named A`B`C`MyFunction, when I type A` and press "cmd + shift + k" it will complete it.


Edit


To be clear, I don't want to have to type the path because it's usually very long, and I don't want to have to type the function name again, even if the path itself gets auto completed. I want the following:


If I have these functions:



Very`Long`Context`For`My`Function1
Very`Long`Context`For`My`Function2
...

I want to be able to type Very` and then press CMD+Shift+k, to get a dropdown menu saying exactly


Very`Long`Context`For`My`Function1
Very`Long`Context`For`My`Function2
...

Answer





This is obsolete in Mathematica 9, which automatically includes contexts in completions.


Undocumented function: use at your own risk, subject to change in future versions, etc....





The function you're interested in is FE`FC.


It's been around for a while (here's a Mathematica Journal article that references it, near the end) although it has changed argument structure at least once that I'm aware of.


Anyway, here's the code I currently use to a similar end as what Mike would like. (Most of this is boilerplate from the original definition; the main difference is the use of a new function FE`names.)


(* Nice little hack to have command completion (cmd-k) include contexts *)
Unprotect[FE`FC];
ClearAll[FE`FC]


FE`FC[FE`nameString_, FE`ignoreCase_:False] /; $Notebooks:=
MathLink`CallFrontEnd[FrontEnd`CompletionsListPacket[
FE`names[FE`nameString<>"*"], FE`ignoreCase],
FE`NoResult]

FE`names[FE`str_, FE`ignoreCase_:False] :=
Join[FE`shortContexts[FE`str], Names[FE`str, IgnoreCase -> FE`ignoreCase]];

FE`shortContexts[FE`patt_]:=

With[{FE`brettclen = Length[StringSplit[FE`patt, "`"]]},
Union[StringJoin[
Riffle[Take[#, Min[FE`brettclen, Length[#]]], "`", {2, -1, 2}]] & /@
StringSplit[Contexts[FE`patt], "`"]]
]

Protect[FE`FC];

The end result is that when I use command completion, I get contexts that match in addition to symbols. This isn't quite the same as Mike's request, since it gives the contexts one at a time:


enter image description here



enter image description here


since otherwise the list can get a bit overwhelming. For example, if you typed Int and then tried to complete to IntegerPart, there's a factor of ten difference:


In[5]:= {Length[Names["Int*"]] + Length[Contexts["Int*"]], 
Length[Names["Int*`*"]]}

Out[5]= {41, 419}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...