Skip to main content

fitting - Does FindFit support complex numbers or doesn't it?


Inspired by this previous question: Findfit doesn't give the good fit; Changing the starting values will not change the results.


Consider the following complex-valued dataset.



f[t_] := b + a/(c + t)
data = Table[f[t] /. {a -> -1 - I, b -> 1 + I, c -> -5 + 2 I}, {t, 1, 10}]
+ 0.1 RandomComplex[{-1 - I, 1 + I}, 10];
plot = ListPlot[Through@{Re, Im}@data]

enter image description here


Mathematica has no trouble fitting a linear model to it, and successfully finds complex values for the fit parameters.


g[t_] := u + v t;
lfit = FindFit[data, g[t], {u, v}, t]
(* {u -> 1.06445 + 1.59084 I, v -> -0.0604794 - 0.0647658 I} *)

Show[plot, Plot[Evaluate@Through@{Re, Im}@(g[t] /. lfit), {t, 1, 10}]]

enter image description here


It likewise has no trouble fitting the original nonlinear model to it if $c$ is held fixed.


fit = FindFit[data, f[t] /. c -> -5 + 2 I, {a, b}, t]
(* {a -> -1.00813 - 0.888072 I, b -> 0.960261 + 1.01034 I} *)
Show[plot, Plot[Evaluate@Through@{Re, Im}@(f[t] /. c -> -5 + 2 I /. fit), {t, 1, 10}]]

enter image description here


But make $c$ variable and suddenly it can't deal with complex numbers any more.



FindFit[data, f[t], {a, b, c}, t]


FindFit::nrlnum: The function value {0.318749 -1.36562 I,0.294047 -1.31665 I,0.306199 -1.5257 I,0.339789 -1.54803 I,<<3>>,0.59458 -1.00036 I,0.343269 -0.994435 I,0.400584 -0.92625 I} is not a list of real numbers with dimensions {10} at {a,b,c} = {1.,1.,1.}.



What gives?



Answer



I think what you're seeing is a consequence of the special model that you're using. The parameters a and b appear only linearly, so as long as they are the only fit parameters it is clear that the best approach for FindFit would be to perform a simple LeastSquares calculation. This is a matrix method that works over the complex numbers, and that's why you get complex answers for the fit parameters a and b when you do


fit = FindFit[data, f[t] /. c -> -5 + 2 I, {a, b}, t]


However, when you add c as a parameter, it's no longer possible to go this route. Now, the parameters that are varied in FindFit have to be real. This is because for a nonlinear problem, FindFit uses FindMinimum to minimize a norm function (Norm), and FindMinimum allows only real (or integer) variables.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...