Skip to main content

equation solving - Using FindRoot to track moving Bessel Functions zeros


Setting up the problem


I want to study the common zeros of these two functions:


r[x_, y_] := Sqrt[x^2 + y^2];
Θ[x_, y_] := ArcTan[x, y];


f[x_, y_, t_] := 1/2 - BesselK[0, r[x, y]]/(2 BesselK[0, 1]) + ϵ1[t] BesselK[0, r[x, y]]/BesselK[0, 1] + D1[t] BesselK[1, r[x, y]]/(2 BesselK[1, 1]) Cos[Θ[x, y] + ζ1[t]]

g[x_, y_, t_] := Sin[Θ[x, y] + ζ2[t]]/ r[x, y] + ϵ2/2 r[x, y]^(-1/2) Cos[Θ[x, y]/2]

I assign values to the time-dependent parameters:


ϵ1[t_] = -0.5 + 10^-6 t;
ζ2[t_] = π/3 + 10^-4 t;
ζ1[t_] = π/3 + 10^-6 t;
ϵ2 = 0.5;
D1[t_] = 0.5 - 10^-3 t;


And I start with t=0. A CountourPlot shows that there are two zeros:


ContourPlot[{g[x, y, 0] == 0, f[x, y, 0] == 0}, {x, -10, 10}, {y, -10,10}]

enter image description here


Their positions are:


  xG0 = x /. FindRoot[{f[x, y, 0] == 0, g[x, y, 0] == 0}, {x, 0.1}, {y, -1},        AccuracyGoal -> 5]
yG0 = y /. FindRoot[{f[x, y, 0] == 0, g[x, y, 0] == 0}, {x, 0.1}, {y, -1}, AccuracyGoal -> 5]

(* 0.378089 *)

(* -1.26037 *)

And:


  xG0b =  x /. FindRoot[{f[x, y, 0] == 0, g[x, y, 0] == 0}, {x, -1}, {y, 1},       AccuracyGoal -> 5]
yG0b = y /. FindRoot[{f[x, y, 0] == 0, g[x, y, 0] == 0}, {x, -1}, {y, 1}, AccuracyGoal -> 5]

(* -1.02897 *)
(* 1.31148 *)

Tracking the zeros:



Now, I want to be able to track their positions as the variable t (time) increases.


In order to do this, I have devised a simple For loop with discretised time-stepping, which I Break when the two zeros get close enough.


At each time step, I look for the i-th zero in a neighbourhood of the previous one, so that each individual zero is not mistaken with the other one.


(* number of steps *)
Nf=100;

(* Final time *)
Tf = 10000;

(* Time Step *)

dt=Tf/Nf;

(* arrays with the positions and distance *)
xGc = Table[0, {i, Nf + 1}];
yGc = Table[0, {i, Nf + 1}];
xGb = Table[0, {i, Nf + 1}];
yGb = Table[0, {i, Nf + 1}];
PosC = Table[{0, 0}, {i, Nf + 1}];
PosB = Table[{0, 0}, {i, Nf + 1}];
Distanza = Table[0, {i, Nf + 1}];


(* I assign the first elements - initial positions *)
xGb[[1]] = xG0b;
yGb[[1]] = yG0b;
xGc[[1]] = xG0;
yGc[[1]] = yG0;
PosB[[1]] = {xG0b, yG0b};
PosC[[1]] = {xG0, yG0};
Distanza[[1]] = ((yGb[[1]] - yGc[[1]])^2 + (xGb[[1]] - xGc[[1]])^2)^(1/2);


(* Search region tolerance*)
xtol=0.1;
ytol=xtol;

(* For Loop *)

For[i = 2, i <= Nf + 1, i = i + 1, t = (i - 1) dt;

(* I look for the i-th zero in a neighbourhood of the previous one *)


xGc[[i]] =
x /. FindRoot[{f[x, y, t] == 0, g[x, y, t] == 0}, {x,
xGc[[i - 1]], xGc[[i - 1]] - xtol, xGc[[i - 1]] + xtol}, {y,
yGc[[i - 1]], yGc[[i - 1]] - ytol, yGc[[i - 1]] + ytol},
AccuracyGoal -> 2, PrecisionGoal -> 2];
yGc[[i]] =
y /. FindRoot[{f[x, y, t] == 0, g[x, y, t] == 0}, {x,
xGc[[i - 1]], xGc[[i - 1]] - xtol, xGc[[i - 1]] + xtol}, {y,
yGc[[i - 1]], yGc[[i - 1]] - ytol, yGc[[i - 1]] + ytol},
AccuracyGoal -> 2, PrecisionGoal -> 2];


xGb[[i]] =
x /. FindRoot[{f[x, y, t] == 0, g[x, y, t] == 0}, {x,
xGb[[i - 1]], xGb[[i - 1]] - xtol, xGb[[i - 1]] + xtol}, {y,
yGb[[i - 1]], yGb[[i - 1]] - ytol, yGb[[i - 1]] + ytol},
AccuracyGoal -> 2, PrecisionGoal -> 2];
yGb[[i]] =
y /. FindRoot[{f[x, y, t] == 0, g[x, y, t] == 0}, {x,
xGb[[i - 1]], xGb[[i - 1]] - xtol, xGb[[i - 1]] + xtol}, {y,
yGb[[i - 1]], yGb[[i - 1]] - ytol, yGb[[i - 1]] + ytol},

AccuracyGoal -> 2, PrecisionGoal -> 2];

Distanza[[i]] =
N[((yGb[[i]] - yGc[[i]])^2 + (xGb[[i]] - xGc[[i]])^2)^(1/2)];

PosB[[i]] = {xGb[[i]], yGb[[i]]};
PosC[[i]] = {xGc[[i]], yGc[[i]]};

If[Distanza[[i]] <= 0.5,
Tf = t;

Nf = i;
xGc[[Nf + 1]] = xGc[[i]];
xGb[[Nf + 1]] = xGb[[i]];
yGb[[Nf + 1]] = yGb[[i]];
yGc[[Nf + 1]] = yGc[[i]];
Break[]
]
]

I get various errors:



FindRoot::reged: The point {-0.350794,0.695484} is at the edge of the search region {0.695484,0.895484} in coordinate 2 and the computed search direction points outside the region. >>

FindRoot::reged: The point {-0.350794,0.695484} is at the edge of the search region {0.695484,0.895484} in coordinate 2 and the computed search direction points outside the region. >>

FindRoot::reged: The point {-0.290278,0.595484} is at the edge of the search region {0.595484,0.795484} in coordinate 2 and the computed search direction points outside the region. >>

General::stop: Further output of FindRoot::reged will be suppressed during this calculation. >>

FindRoot::lstol: The line search decreased the step size to within tolerance specified by AccuracyGoal and PrecisionGoal but was unable to find a sufficient decrease in the merit function. You may need more than MachinePrecision digits of working precision to meet these tolerances. >>


FindRoot::lstol: The line search decreased the step size to within tolerance specified by AccuracyGoal and PrecisionGoal but was unable to find a sufficient decrease in the merit function. You may need more than MachinePrecision digits of working precision to meet these tolerances. >>

FindRoot::lstol: The line search decreased the step size to within tolerance specified by AccuracyGoal and PrecisionGoal but was unable to find a sufficient decrease in the merit function. You may need more than MachinePrecision digits of working precision to meet these tolerances. >>

General::stop: Further output of FindRoot::lstol will be suppressed during this calculation. >>

And when I plot some of the position variables (here Distanza and xGb), I see some suspect jumps:


enter image description here


Questions:


1) Why do I see the errors, and how could I improve the situation?



2) Is there a way to implement an adaptive Search-region size, so that if I get an error I increase xtol and ytol until I find the zero within the right accuracy?


3) Would something like the extrapolation of a guess from the two previous zeros help more? How would I go about implementing that?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...