Skip to main content

physics - Convert spectral distribution to RGB color


Presume that I have a spectrum as a function of wavelength (an example being the blackbody spectrum):



blackbody curves


I want to convert that to a single RGB color to display on-screen, i.e. the "color" of that object as it would appear to the eye. From searching, I can see that there are ways to do this with a matrix transformation for a single wavelength, but I was hoping someone already had a solution coded up in Mathematica for an arbitrary input spectrum.



Answer



I got my CIE color matching functions from here. These are the CIE 1931 2-deg, XYZ CMFs modified by Judd (1951) and Vos (1978).


{λ, x, y, z} = 
Import["http://www.cvrl.org/database/data/cmfs/ciexyzjv.csv"]\[Transpose];

ListLinePlot[{{λ, x}\[Transpose], {λ,y}\[Transpose], {λ, z}\[Transpose]},
PlotLegends -> {"X", "Y", "Z"}]


color matching functions


Conversion of color temperature to XYZ tristimulus values is done using Planck's radiation law. Note that I make use of vectorization to calculate the integration of the product of black body radiation and the color sensitivity curves over wavelength. I also scale the output to make Y (more or less the luminance) equal to 1.


λ = λ 10^-9; (* wavelength is given in nm *)

XYZ[t_] :=
Module[{h = 6.62607*10^-34,c = 2.998*10^8, k = 1.38065*10^-23},
{x, y, z}.((2 h c^2)/((-1 + E^((h c/k)/(t λ))) λ^5)) // #/#[[2]] &
]

With V10 there are two convenient functions that perform the rest of the transformation for us: XYZColor and ColorConvert (updated):



ColorConvert[XYZColor @@ XYZ[temp], "RGB"]

Example:


Graphics[
Table[
{
ColorConvert[XYZColor @@ XYZ[i], "RGB"],
Rectangle[{i, 0}, {i + 50, 5000}]
},
{i, 100, 10000, 50}

],
Frame -> True, FrameTicks -> {Automatic, None, None, None},
FrameLabel -> {"Black body temperature (K)", "", "", ""}
]

blackbody spectrum


Note that some clipping can take place in the conversion from XYZ to RGB (sRGB has a rather restricted gamut):


ChromaticityPlot[
{
"sRGB",

Table[ColorConvert[XYZColor[XYZ[i]], "RGB"], {i, 100, 40000, 50}],
Table[XYZColor@XYZ[i], {i, 100, 40000, 50}]
}
]

chromaticity plot of blackbody spectrum


Scaling the XYZ values down somewhat (here with a factor of 2) may provide a solution in some cases:


ChromaticityPlot[
{
"sRGB",

Table[ColorConvert[XYZColor[XYZ[i]/2], "RGB"], {i, 100, 40000, 50}],
Table[XYZColor@XYZ[i], {i, 100, 40000, 50}]
}
]

scaled chromaticity plot of blackbody spectrum


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...