Skip to main content

plotting - What causes strange line artifacts to appear in plots with certain PlotRanges?


I have seen this strange plotting artifact occur before and I was able to make it go away by changing the PlotRange. However, this time I need the prescribed PlotRange to be what I define and I get a strange vertical line within my plot.


The questions are, "What causes this?" and "How do I prevent it from happening?" This is happening for me in Version 9.0 on Mac and Windows.


Here is the code:



ur[x_, a_] := 1 - (1/a) Log[1 + a x]
g[x_, go_, s_, m_] := 1/2 (go x Exp[-(x/s)])/(1 + m x)
uh[x_, a_, go_, s_, m_, k_] := ur[x, a] + g[x, go, s, m]/(1 - g[x, go, s, m]) (k - 1)

a = 5; go = 1; s = 2; m = 0.5;

plt[k_] := ParametricPlot[{ uh[x, a, go, s, m, k], x}, {x, 0, 1},
AspectRatio -> 1/1.5, Frame -> True, PlotStyle -> {Darker[Green]},
FrameLabel -> {Style["Volume Compression", 14],
Style["Normalized Pressure", 14]},

LabelStyle -> {FontSize -> 12, FontFamily -> "Times"}]

Show[Table[plt[k], {k, 1.0, 3.5, 0.5}], PlotRange -> {{0.5, 1.5}, {0, 1.2}}]

The resulting graphic is produced with the line artifact at x=0.65. Not certain as to why this happens. If I tweak the PlotRange to PlotRange -> {{0.6, 1.4}, {0, 1.2}} the line goes away. However, I need the PlotRange to be PlotRange -> {{0.5, 1.5}, {0, 1.2}}. If I move the PlotRange into the ParametricPlot function I get the same result.


Plot with line artifact at x=0.65


Thanks in advance for any assistance...



Answer



That is the y-axis. Frame -> True does not always turn off the Axes when it is supposed to. Looking at the Options passed to Graphics shows this clearly


FilterRules[

Options@Show[Table[plt[k], {k, 1.0, 3.5, 0.5}], PlotRange -> {{0.5, 1.5}, {0, 1.2}}],
{Axes, AxesOrigin}]
(* {Axes -> True, AxesOrigin -> {0.65, 0}} *)

and AxesOrigin explains why you see the artifact at x = 0.65.


To fix that add Axes -> False to plt. Then, it disappears:


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...