Skip to main content

list manipulation - Performance of calculation of mean squared displacement


How can I improve the performance of the following code which calculates the mean squared displacement for coordinates stored in data? Here for each time difference dn all possible distance combinations are taken into account:


---- distance combinations between points
dn=1: 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 3 and 4, ... n-1 and n
dn=2: 1 and 3, 2 and 4, 3 and 5, ... n-2 and n-1
dn=3: 1 and 4, 2 and 5, 3 and 6, ... n-3 and n-2
...


and so on ...


data = Import["data.txt"]; (*data file: http://goo.gl/Fmm9fZ*)
msd = Array[0 &, {n - 1, n - 1}];
xSquared = Array[0 &, {n - 1, n - 1}];
ySquared = Array[0 &, {n - 1, n - 1}];

Table[
dx = data[[n + dn, 1]] - data[[n, 1]];
dy = data[[n + dn, 2]] - data[[n, 2]];

msd[[dn, n]] = dx^2 + dy^2;
xSquared[[dn, n]] = dx^2;
ySquared[[dn, n]] = dy^2,
{dn, 1, n - 1},
{n, 1, n - dn}
]; // AbsoluteTiming

Is something else possible?


Later on the mean of the arrays msd, ySquared and ySquared is calculated taking into account that of each dn the relevant length is n-dn.


Table[

msdMean[[dn]] = Mean[msd[[dn, 1 ;; n - dn]]];
msdStdDev[[dn]] = StandardDeviation[msd[[dn, 1 ;; n - dn]]];
xSquaredMean[[dn]] = Mean[xSquared[[dn, 1 ;; n - dn]]];
xSquaredStdDev[[dn]] =
StandardDeviation[xSquared[[dn, 1 ;; n - dn]]];
ySquaredMean[[dn]] = Mean[ySquared[[dn, 1 ;; n - dn]]];
ySquaredStdDev[[dn]] =
StandardDeviation[ySquared[[dn, 1 ;; n - dn]]],
{dn, 1, n - 2}
];


My notebook which I used to calculate and plot them is here: http://goo.gl/ztPqxN


Update for FFT solution:


https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34222272/computing-mean-square-displacement-using-python-and-fft


FFT-Code in Python:




  1. https://github.com/soft-matter/trackpy/blob/master/trackpy/motion.py





  2. the MSD should be done by looking at non-overlapping windows of a given time and then averaging those. There was some recent work (github.com/soft-matter/trackpy/pull/337) to make msd computations faster.




How to get errors (standard deviation of mean value data set):



  1. see github.com/soft-matter/trackpy/pull/352 for discussion of computing errors on the msd.


UPDATE:


Please use for your code my data file: http://goo.gl/Fmm9fZ


I am very much interested that the numerical results of my code can be reproduced and that for the whole set of calculations I did (three mean value data sets and their errors) the performance is compared.




Answer




Update



My previous code had an error, it should be Total[#^2] & (sum of squares) instead of (Total@#^2) & (square of sum). The full code should look like this:


data = Import["http://goo.gl/Fmm9fZ", "Table"][[1 ;; -2]];
dx = 1.9*10.^-3; data = data*dx;
meanDisp[data_, dn_] := Mean[Total[#^2] & /@ Differences[data, 1, dn]];
meanStd[data_, dn_] :=
StandardDeviation[Total[#^2] & /@ Differences[data, 1, dn]];

meanXsq[data_, dn_] := Mean[#[[1]]^2 & /@ Differences[data, 1, dn]];
meanXsqStd[data_, dn_] :=
StandardDeviation[#[[1]]^2 & /@ Differences[data, 1, dn]];
meanYsq[data_, dn_] := Mean[#[[2]]^2 & /@ Differences[data, 1, dn]];
meanYsqStd[data_, dn_] :=
StandardDeviation[#[[2]]^2 & /@ Differences[data, 1, dn]];

{msdMean, msdStdDev, xSquaredMean, xSquaredStdDev,ySquaredMean, ySquaredStdDev} =
Table[#[data, dn], {dn, 1, Length@data - 2}] & /@ {meanDisp,
meanStd, meanXsq, meanXsqStd, meanYsq, meanYsqStd};



Update 2 We can further improve performance by exploiting the ^2 being Listable



allCalc[data_, dn_] := 
Module[{diff, x2, y2, x2m, y2m, x2s, y2s, disp, std},
diff = (Differences[data, 1, dn]^2);
{x2, y2} = Transpose@diff;
{{x2m, x2s}, {y2m,
y2s}} = {Mean[#], StandardDeviation[#]} & /@ {x2, y2};

std = StandardDeviation[x2 + y2];
disp = x2m + y2m;
{disp, std, x2m, x2s, y2m, y2s}];

We can also compile this new function:


allCalcCompile = 
Compile[{{data, _Real, 2}, {dn, _Integer, 0}},
Module[{diff, x2, y2, x2m, y2m, x2s, y2s, disp, std},
(* the same body *)
], RuntimeOptions -> "Speed"];


Now if we compare performance:


{t, newCompile} = 
AbsoluteTiming[
Transpose@
Table[allCalcCompile[data, dn], {dn, 1, Length@data - 2}]];
t
{t, new} =
AbsoluteTiming[
Transpose@Table[allCalc[data, dn], {dn, 1, Length@data - 2}]];

t
{t, old} =
AbsoluteTiming[
Table[#[data, dn], {dn, 1, Length@data - 2}] & /@ {meanDisp,
meanStd, meanXsq, meanXsqStd, meanYsq, meanYsqStd}];
t
(*
0.276597
0.632528
3.3952

*)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?