Skip to main content

front end - How to select and delete all Output cells?


How to select and delete all Output cells in multiple notebooks programmatically without needing to (manually) opening them?


How to define a hot key for deleting all Output cells within a notebook from that notebook?




Answer



Without adressing the hotkey issue (you could add a menu entry, or simply put an appropriate Button in your notebook), here is one variety that uses NotebookDelete and can be modified to include different CellStyles as well. The first argument nb defines which notebook to work on, the second argument styles defines the styles of to-be-deleted cells:


CleanNotebook[nb_: SelectedNotebook[],styles_: {"Output"}] := 
(NotebookFind[nb, #, All, CellStyle];
NotebookDelete[nb];) & /@ styles

Together with NotebookOpen, NotebookSave and NotebookClose and related functions you should be able to work on arbitrary notebooks programmatically.


Example:


docpath = 
ToFileName[{$InstallationDirectory, "Documentation", "English",

"System"}, "ExampleData"];

nb = NotebookOpen[ToFileName[docpath, "document.nb"]]


Mathematica graphics



CleanNotebook[nb]

Take care what other styles you choose, they´ll be gone for good...



Edit: You may also use the Option Visbible->False to supress the opening of a window for this notebook. This seems useful for batch processing (especially if Dynamic stuff is involved, because this will probably not trigger if invisible), but takes additional care to save and close programmatically because invisble windows do not show up in the menu bar.


Example:


doc = ToFileName[{$InstallationDirectory, "Documentation", "English", 
"System", "ExampleData"}, "document.nb"];

bak = ToFileName[$TemporaryDirectory, "document_clean.nb"];

nb = NotebookOpen[doc, Visible -> False];
CleanNotebook[nb];
NotebookSave[nb, bak]

NotebookClose[nb]

NotebookOpen[doc];
NotebookOpen[bak, Visible -> True];

There is still an issue with the Visible option being saved in the backup notebook and hiding when reopened (thus re-setting Visible->True).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?