Skip to main content

Solving a stochastic differential equation


How do I solve the following simple stochastic differential equation:


$$ m x''[t] + \Gamma x'[t] + k x[t] = \sqrt[]{(2 k_{b} T/\Gamma)} \eta[t] $$


here $\eta[t]$ is Brownian motion, i.e. Wiener process. The equation describes the stochastic motion of a particle in a harmonic potential.


I am new to stochastic calculus and know almost nothing. From fiddling around with Mathematica in the last two days I figured that in general the OrnsteinUhlenbeckProcess can be used to simulate $x[t]$.


The values I'm using are (converting everything in MKS):


$$ k_{b} = 1.3806488 \times 10 ^{-23} - \text{ Boltzmann's constant} $$ $$ T = 350 \text{ K} $$ $$ r = 70 \times 10^{-9} \text{ m} $$ $$ \rho = (2/1000)*100^3 - \text{ Density of particle} = 2 gm/cc $$ $$ k = (50*1000*2 \pi )^2 m = m \Omega^2 - \text{ Resonant Frequency = 50 KHz} $$ $$ m = 4/3 \pi r^3 \rho - \text{ Mass of particle } $$ $$ \Gamma = 2 \pi 10^{-2} $$




Answer



I think it can be quite instructive to see how to integrate a stochastic differential equation (SDE) yourself. Of course there are different ways of doing that (a nice introduction is given in this paper). I chose the Euler-Maruyama method as it is the simplest one and is sufficient for this simple problem. Note that this assumes your SDE to be in Ito-form, which in your case coincides with the Stratonovic-form.


I write the equations of motion for the harmonic oscillator as a system of first order equations $$ \dot{x}=\omega\, p,\\ \dot{p}=-\omega \,x -\gamma\, p + \xi, $$ which can easily be converted to the original equation. $\xi$ is a Wiener process which is basically just a rescaled version of $\eta$. We first sample the Wiener process from a Gaussian distribution


dt = .01; NT = 10000;
wn=Sqrt[dt] RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[0,1],NT];

and then define the update step of the Euler-Maruyama iteration


om = 1; ga = .1; n = 1;
update[x_,w_]:=(IdentityMatrix@2+{{0,om},{-om,-ga}}dt).x+Sqrt[n]{{0},{1}}w;


where n is the variance of the Wiener process. The actual integration is then just a matter of defining the initial condition and folding update over the Wiener process


x0 = {{0}, {20}};
xn = FoldList[update,x0,wn];

This yields a result similar to


ListLinePlot[{xn[[All, 1, 1]], xn[[All, 2, 1]]}, PlotRange -> All]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?