Skip to main content

plotting - Is it possible to substitute tick labels with alternative text?




Possible Duplicate:
Labelling ArrayPlot Charts



I am making a MatrixPlot. For example, consider the following:



list = {{1, 1, 0, 1}, {0, 0, 1, 1}, {1, 0, 1, 0}};
MatrixPlot[list]

which yields:


MatrixPlot


But now suppose I want to label the axes with other numbers. For example, I would like to label the ticks on the horizontal axis as 101, 167, 188, 205 (as they are not now), and the ticks on the vertical axis as 1, 2, 3 (as they already are). I know this is a strange request, but it is because I would like to label the horizontal axis according to "particle number" (which is an integer in my application).


Or maybe a better way to phrase the question is, is it possible to label axis/frame ticks with any arbitrary string (for example, labeling the horizontal axis with "Alice", "Bob", "Carla", and "David")? One possibility seems like FrameTicks, but I can't seem to figure out if it can be used to map strings.


If I use


list = {{1, 1, 0, 1}, {0, 0, 1, 1}, {1, 0, 1, 0}};
MatrixPlot[list,

FrameTicks -> {{{1, 2, 3}, None}, {{101, 167, 188, 205}, None}}]

I get:


MatrixPlot


because, of course, FrameTicks thinks I'm referring to which discrete values to label.


Also, if I try:


list = {{1, 1, 0, 1}, {0, 0, 1, 1}, {1, 0, 1, 0}};
MatrixPlot[list,
FrameTicks -> {{{1, 2, 3}, None}, {{"101", "167", "188", "205"},
None}}]


I get "Not a valid tick specification."


Do you have any other ideas?



Answer



try this


 MatrixPlot[list,  
FrameTicks -> {
{{1, 2, 3}, None}, {{{1, 101}, {2, 167}, {3, 188}, {4, 205}}, {{1, "Alice"}, {2,"Bob"}}}
}]


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?